Thread: Pre-1974 City boundaries

Default Pre-1974 City boundaries

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the pre-1974 (Local Govt Reorg) city boundaries looked like ie. how much of Liverpool was lost to Knowsley when that particular authority was created.

I understand that Halewood used to be part of Liverpool, and Huyton/Roby maybe ? Am also aware that Liverpool Corporation had a hand in the creation or Kirkby but was it ever formally part of Liverpool. I also read somewhere that the Corporation purchase a large chunk of land from Lord Derby's estate around Knowsley in the 1930's which was used to create Cantril Farm etc....Does the use of an Lxx postcode (eg L26 Halewood, L36 Huyton) indicate an ex-part of Liverpool of where L postcodes assigned to areas outside the boundaries ?

Ta,

Ade

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by acr View Post
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the pre-1974 (Local Govt Reorg) city boundaries looked like ie. how much of Liverpool was lost to Knowsley when that particular authority was created.

I understand that Halewood used to be part of Liverpool, and Huyton/Roby maybe ? Am also aware that Liverpool Corporation had a hand in the creation or Kirkby but was it ever formally part of Liverpool. I also read somewhere that the Corporation purchase a large chunk of land from Lord Derby's estate around Knowsley in the 1930's which was used to create Cantril Farm etc....Does the use of an Lxx postcode (eg L26 Halewood, L36 Huyton) indicate an ex-part of Liverpool of where L postcodes assigned to areas outside the boundaries ?

Ta,

Ade
    This is why it's time to redraw the boundaries. Aintree, Thornton, Ford, Bootle, Litherland, Crosby, Kirkby, Huyton, Halewood and others should be brought into Liverpool. Then EFC would be back in the boundaries--simple!

Hi All,

Ta,

Ade
    I can't give a complete answer, but here's what I know.

Huyton-with-Roby was separate from Liverpool from 1894 to 1974. It came under Lancashire County Council. When I was going school in Dovecot (1940-1947), a number of my classmates came from across the "border". They lived in the Swanside area across Pilch Lane. When we reached the 11 plus stage, They went off to Prescot Grammar School while the rest of us went to Liverpool schools.

In those days Dovecot was L14, but people who lived in Huyton-Roby didn't use a district number. Their address was usually "Huyton nr Liverpool" or something similar.

You can't assume that a Lxx postal code used to be part of Liverpool. For instance, my wife's family now live in Ormskirk L39, which was never part of Liverpool (or even Merseyside today)

Hi All,

Ta,

Ade
    Hi...I had a quick look at a late 50s map and the 1990 one...the City Council boundary is exactly the same! Outside this boundary things are different...going clockwise from the North the admin areas are listed as [boundaries to the next authority in square brackets] Bootle C.B. [Cheshire Lines railway] then West Lancs R.D. [parallels the canal then Waddicar Lane,to the south] then Kirkby U.D. [East Lancs Rd] then Whiston R.D. [River Alt] then Huyton-with-Roby U.D. [Wheathill then Tarbock Rds] and finally Whiston R.D. again to the Mersey.

Bootle C.B. and West Lancs R.D. are now Sefton,the rest Knowsley. I assume the initials are County Borough,Rural District,and Urban District. What that means is going to be someone else's job as I don't know.

As for postcodes,they're only for the convenience of the Post and indicate [afaik] only which main sorting office an area is under,and usually are unrelated to government boundaries [they can co-incide however]. The "L" area goes up to Formby I think,and covers most of Wirral* including Ellesmere Port,and most of those areas have no admin links with Liverpool. What's vaguely interesting is that there are no L5x postcodes,they jump from L49 to L60. Perhaps the Post Office planned for Widnes and Runcorn to come under Liverpool but changed their minds.

*until a few years ago when all "L" codes on the Wirral swopped to "CH",but the numeric part stayed the same-so L41 is now CH41.

Dave.