A recent book written by Echo reporter Ken Rogers with an accompanying website which allows you find anyone living within the Everton district in 1960 when the slum clearance programme was underway has created massive interest for not just those affected, but anyone who can emphathise with their plight as planning disasters still go on. Not that everyone wanted their damp, squalid, cold and mouldy surroundings saved but at least rehoused together locally as the vibrant community still intact, and certainly not in lonely sanitised boxes in the sky.

Saturday 16th July saw a mass gathering, which for something that happened so long ago that many have died and many were not even born, was quite remarkable. It was a pleasure to attend even though my patch was a couple of miles further south. It was also great meeting all the forumers that I did.

Some pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nobody warned us that you needed a month on the slimfast diet to make it up the narrow staircase.

The clock mechanism - at a rest point on the way up. (it's broke by the way)

I notice Mart counted the steps up as 108. I wondered why he had his shoes and socks off at the top and was struggling after 20. This pic gives you some idea of how narrow it was so well done to Mart and George espacially

The view was well worth the climb though. Everton Library and Anfield.

Not a downed plane but the new Academy School on Heyworth Street.

Skyscrapers (of sorts) Old and New

Toawards the Mouth of the Mersey.

Northwards past Crete & Candia Towers.

Albion Street estate.

After parachuting back to terra firma.

The packed hall for a talk on Everton by author of the Lost Tribe of Everton and Echo reporter, Ken Rogers.

The beautiful ornate ceiling and cast iron pillars forged by John Cragg at his Liverpool foundry. St. Georges church is now grade I listed because of them.

The sea of heads as a steady stream of those who were ex tribesmen and women and those who were not ebbed and flowed throughout the day.

Some stained glass. I believe Johnny stained his knickers at the thought of those steps earlier.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen - lend me your ears.

Johnny, Debra, Linda and Mart. I felt ashamed when Mart asked the vicar for some wine.

Arrrgh - Spotted again!! There was just no losing the beggars

Ex Rossy scholars and old neighbours including my wife's aunty Brenda (Breen) and George Rimmer from former streets that were cleared for Everton Park.

Johnny exchanging details with Margy Anderson once of Clarence Grove and he hadn't even crashed into her - dirty sod.