Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Train stations demolished /not in use

You know, there something fascinates me about various Train Stations for some reason and I feel a right geek . I like looking at some of the small Stations along the Soutport Line as some have very pleasant surroundings, like Freshfields and Formby. Anyone got a spare Gagool?

Blog Entries

As a little kid I recall going into Woodside station. I recall it was dark, dirty and old and Victorian and had no big facade like Lime Street. It had no lasting positive impression. Looking at the model it was obviously built wrong, facing the wrong way and incorrect orientation. It should have been a joint ferry/rail station, where the passengers get off the ferry directly into the station, all under the same roof, with busses outside. Maybe that is too obvious.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Living the Dream... Scouseinmanc's Avatar

It wasn't down to the GWR that Woodside was built 'the wrong way round'. It was always intended that the 3 modes of transport (train, bus & ferry) were to be integrated. Unfortunately, at that time, both the bus & ferry companies were extremely slow & uncooporative, resulting in their terminus' being located in the position they are today.
    In respect of the station being dark & dingy, like many other stations across the country, this was the result of years of pollution. I'm sure when it was fairly new it wasn't like that. Think of how St. Pancras looked prior to the refurb, it was exactly the same. I remember taking the train there from Manchester a few years back & thinking what a sorry state such a grand station had become. Now after being given a new lease of life, it looks clean, bright, airy & absolutley stunning.
    Violently happy

Was looking at the Disused Stations website last night under Sub Brit and I was delighted to get a couple more pictures of the old Childwall Station and tracks as it was updated.

I had taken a nose at the updated Gateacre page and came across a picture I can't make head nor tail of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gatacre_old11.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	11994

From what I can gather, there was an underground subway to get to the other side of the station but I've never come across this before - and as a regular on the loop line, I can't for the life of me find where it was or any clue.

Anyone any idea?? Gateacre Station was on Belle Vale Road.

I'm not sure if it's exactly at Gateacre, but I think it's somewhere along that stretch, is the small remnant of a brick structure. I get on the loop line at Springfield Park and it's on the right when I'm heading towards Halewood. It's the base of a structure which is about three brick courses high and it's angled away from the track line. It should be visable again now that the trees have lost their leaves. Sorry I can't be more specific but I've always wondered what it was. I suppose it could have been toilets, a small signal box or, in light of your information, the entrance to a subway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234