Thread: Rice Lane Farm

Blog Entries

Default Rice Lane Farm

went to Rice Lane farm today...sad to see the cows grazing amongst the war graves

DSCF2316 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2319 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2322 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2326 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2327 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2331 by robbo176, on Flickr

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

a few more

DSCF2346 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2349 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2358 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2361 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2376 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2378 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2380 by robbo176, on Flickr

DSCF2390 by robbo176, on Flickr
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    went to Rice Lane farm today...sad to see the cows grazing amongst the war graves ...

Great pics Mandy....

The graves go back well before the 1st world war Mand...they go back to when Walton hospital was a workhouse..
    Them fields are filled with hundreds of thousands of burials.. some 10 to a grave..

tens of thousands of Irish people are buried in them paupers graves..
    they fled Ireland from the potato famine and lived in the workhouse..
    the dead would be piled on top of each other on hand carts and wheeled up that avenue area full of old graves..
    they would be tipped from the hand carts and left there.. piled on top of each other until they were buried.
    Several well known people are buried in that cemetary.. Robert Philip Tressell (Noonan) being one of them..
    He is in a paupers grave.. his grave now has a marked headstone..
    it is right over the far side of the cemetary by the exit to where Walton gaol is...

My grandad is buried there on that avenue.. his headstone still intact and visible
    that area where the graves are on the long avenue is seperate from the paupers area..
    By all accounts you had to have a few bob to be buried there..
    My Grandads mothers side apparently had a few bob.. my mams family could not afford to have him buried there.

Edited..

My Grandad is buried in the same grave as his mother and her family..
    the grave is very old from the turn of the century...even earlier I think.. from what I remember.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Blog Entries

I went with a list of graves I wanted to find...including 6 year old Pearson Addison who died in 1873 ....I spent last night trying to work out what section they were buried....I never found any of them!!!

I also wanted to see Robert Tressel's grave but the cows were out in the field so we couldn't get near it
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

I went there a few weeks ago. Considering the district of Walton is rather busy at the best of times, I wanted to take the baby somewhere quiet. Never in my dreams would I think I was still in Liverpool whilst in the middle of this place! Completely cut off from all noise and traffic, a chance to have a good nose around at all the graves, some of which were lying down in undergrowth.

Even more amazing to read a gravestone and then turn around and see a sheep walking past! I jumped on-line to see if there was a dedicated website to this place and I couldn't find anything - so if anyone wants to help me with some research, I'll sort one out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I went there a few weeks ago. Considering the district of Walton is rather busy at the best of times, I wanted to take the baby somewhere quiet. Never in my dreams would I think I was still in Liverpool whilst in the middle of this place! Completely cut off from all noise and traffic, a chance to have a good nose around at all the graves, some of which were lying down in undergrowth.
    Might have to go have a nose round there myself sometime... Just need to find a kid to drag along so I don't look like some weirdo

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Even more amazing to read a gravestone and then turn around and see a sheep walking past! I jumped on-line to see if there was a dedicated website to this place and I couldn't find anything - so if anyone wants to help me with some research, I'll sort one out!
    Is the a thread on Yo just to list Liverpool related sites ? If not then there should be

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    ....I also wanted to see Robert Tressel's grave but the cows were out in the field so we couldn't get near it

If ever you go again Mandy drive up Rice Lane and turn left onto Hornby Road...
    drive up Hornby Rd a few hundred yards..
    you will see a yellow bus stop, on the opposite side of the dual carriageway..
    right opposite that bus stop.. in the direction you are heading.. a line of trees appear on your left..
    drive further a few hundred yards.. the 1st gap in the small wall on the left is the entrance to Walton Cemetary.. there are usually cars parked by the entrance.
    Robert Tressel's grave is in the immediate area on the left.. without wandering too far..
    It should be easy to find.. a big new flat slab ..without a headstone.. unless one has been added since I was there..
    If I find my photos of his grave I will add them...

This chap, James William Carling is also buried there. Born in Fontenoy Street, he was a pavement artist who went to America with his brother before returning here to die and was buried in a paupers grave. He has work published in Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven'.

http://www.scottiepress.org/projects/jcarling.htm

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    This chap, James William Carling is also buried there. Born in Fontenoy Street, he was a pavement artist who went to America with his brother before returning here to die and was buried in a paupers grave. He has work published in Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven'.

http://www.scottiepress.org/projects/jcarling.htm

Correct Ged.. I left that for you to put about Carling...
    I knew you'd be along... nice one...

Great piccys, hope Mr Tressel / Noonan's grave can be added one day. I used to go there quite often, it is a fantastic place considering it is surrounded by a densely populated area / industry etc.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Cracker pics indeed and good info too.
    Like Smurfy, I thought it had closed down too.

Robert Noonan's resting place.
    Click for full size image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robert noonan.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	24150

James William Carling burial spot is registered Section F, Grave 16 ,and as far as I know there is not a grave marker.

Cadfael, a website already exists:
    http://www.ricelanecityfarm.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post
    Robert Noonan's resting place.
    Click for full size image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robert noonan.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	24150

James William Carling burial spot is registered Section F, Grave 16 ,and as far as I know there is not a grave marker.
    Wonderful to see. Mandy, thanks for your fine photographs as well. A lot of useful information in this thread. Hopefully I can make it to Rice Lane Farm on one of my upcoming visits home. Cadfael, thanks for providing the website address for the farm.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace