Thread: Lime Street Gateway, Liverpool

kat2

Post Lime Street Gateway, Liverpool

Reproduced :>Lime Street Station opened in 1836 as the new terminus for the first public railway line in the UK, the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. The oldest remaining part of the station building – the wall to the rear of Platform 1 – dates from 1849. At the time of its construction the 47m arched trainshed was the largest single-span roof structure in the world. There have been numerous refurbishments over the decades – the most recent in 1984<
    the rest of this write up can be seen here:
    http://www.englishpartnerships.co.uk/limestreet.htm

more here about the architects
    http://www.glennhowells.co.uk/
    kat
    Last edited by kat2; 07-29-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Wow.Kat..... that was very interesting to read...

My second time to Liverpool, I arrived by train from London... I stepped off on Platform 7..and found it a lovely open train station of a feel...

I am glad to read that they will keep it stone and in the feel of the historic one..

2008 sure has brought about new development there.. Liverpool won't look the same at all... The times are sure a changing....
    Last edited by naked lilac; 08-01-2007 at 06:37 AM.

chippie

Default ye olde bus of leverpoole

Anyone remember this

I could be mistaken.. but, I saw that bus in London .. that green one.. some lad pointed it out as the original type... hemmm wonder if it was that bus?

Steven

A bus load of hang overs heading down to the docks.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

At the moment I must say Lime Street around by where the Big Dig has been, the is a lacking in greenery! Anyone remember how nice the flower beds used to look in the traffic island at the top of St Johns Lane?

One hopes that when the Gateway is completed, there will be some flora around, we are meant to be one of the greenest cities in the UK! The grey granite paving is so depressing atm.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

kat2

Cool

would have been nice to have seen the whole station brought up to date, perhaps with at least better flooring and clean up the horrible views you get when you look down from the platforms onto the railway lines *yuk*
    I can never work out why there arnt more than two entry exit offices open onto the platforms (apart from the london routes) which dont seem to have any.
    kat
    it would have just been nice to have seen the space inside used a little better
    what ideas would you have if you were given the choice and freedom to change the interior layout of LimeStreet Station
    kat?