My name is Brian Daley,I was born 65 years ago in Stanley Rd.Hospital,and
started out in life in Kirkdale.We lived in Medlock St. and then Fountains Rd.,spending a short with Grandma in Eton St. before moving to Toxteth.
We seemed to be one step ahead of the rentman all my young life.In 1952 we moved to Speke Rd. Gardens in Garston,the first place we could really call home.We lived in a 3 bedroomed tenement,which my mother kept spotless.My elder sister and I were given household chores,which meant polishing the brasswork and furniture ,we earned our pocket money by helping to make the house a home.
We lived in Garston until 1960,by which time I was in my second year at sea,and the family moved to Kirkby,to an old ROF house.It had a garden,our first,and the road was so quiet after the "Tennies" that it took the family some time to adjust.
I was at sea when they moved in and,although I knew they were moving to Kirkby,they omitted to send me the address.
I found them by asking in the first pub I saw when I got off the train,The Railway,yes they knew my Dad and pretty soon I was back with the family.But not for long,I left Liverpool in 66',shipping out of London and the Continent for a while.After meeting a beautiful young lady at a shipmates wedding in Oswestry,I ended up moving to Birmingham,where she lived.That was in December 1968,we were married in February !969,and are still together. We now live in Tamworth in the middle of England,this our thirty first year in the place and we love it down here.
I am still a Liverpudlian,I was made in those streets,taught in Tiber Street and Gilmour Heath Rd. schools.The city,my teachers,my parents and family gave me my dreams and aspirations.I was a paper boy,an Appletons delivery boy,worked on Garston market,all while at school.My first job after leaving school was with W.E.Kearns,the butchers.All of those jobs were just filling in time until I could go to sea.Which I did in '58.
I have a lot to thank Liverpool for,and I now take my children,and grandchildren to the land of my chidhood and they are beginning to love it too.
I've just realised that I have gone on a bit long ,so I will say goodbye for now and post some more in the future.
BrianD