Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine paintings

Default Marine paintings

Hi,

I thought I,d post a picture of my painting of the classic Blu Flu cargo liner " Nestor " she got through 2 world wars and was Flag Ship of the fleet. She was reputed to have the tallest smoke stack of any ship.The painting was done for my old mate Harry Howell who served on her in the war. He was a founder member of the Blue Funnel Association and a very good marine painter in his own right (some of his work is in the town hall,I believe) but never painted his own ship!

www.oldforgegallery.co.uk

Wow ! that's a beautiful painting

Very nice

Blog Entries

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Excellent painting. Very talented.

Hello,Wilt

Only one gripe from me and from one artist to another...The smoke from the funnel should follow on behind the ship when sailing...bit like the smoke from a trains stack it trails behind the train when in motion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Hello,Wilt

Only one gripe from me and from one artist to another...The smoke from the funnel should follow on behind the ship when sailing...bit like the smoke from a trains stack it trails behind the train when in motion.

Perspective must be one of the hardest concepts to grasp for any visual artist. Apart from the fact that the wind is entitled to be stronger and faster than the speed of the vessel the smoke could be blowing inland at an angle.
    Very clever of the artist to give us this topic to keep his work in the news.

Perspective must be one of the hardest concepts to grasp for any visual artist.
    Yep and this is why that smoke from a ships funnel should be behind the ship if its sailing ie it keeps it in perspective to the ship and then you would'nt get neg crit from me.

A painting cannot show wind Oudi,unless there a gale force choppy river.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

You certainly have the knack for capturing shipping paintings.

http://www.oldforgegallery.co.uk/galleryM2.html

Hello,Wilt

But, but.... If the ship is doing 20 kts, and has a wind from the stern of 30 kts, then the smoke will be blown forward.

Just like flying, smoke is all relative to the wind - not the seas surface - once it's left the funnel...

As a kid, I remember having a hard time explaining this bit of physics to my sister.

I think the picture is just showing the regular strong wind down the Mersey off the Irish Sea....

Bu, but.... If the ship is doing 20 kts, and has a wind from the stern of 30 kts, then the smoke will be blown forward.
    Oi,I'm the artist here,there are somethings you don't do in painting as it throws the painting off balance.
    Where painting smoke from a ship is concerned we should follow its normal direction course ie leaving the funnel from the back to the stern.

Behave yerself Az.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

When I first clapped eyes on this painting I thought the ship was heading out to the Irish sea,turns out it was the opposite.

Oi,I'm the artist here,there are somethings you don't do in painting as it throws the painting off balance.
    Where painting smoke from a ship is concerned we should follow its normal direction course ie leaving the funnel from the back to the stern.

Behave yerself Az. [COLOR="Silver"]
    It's a good job that ships are relatively smokeless now...

Think of all the time saved by photographers who would have to use PhotoShop to get the smoke to go the "right way"......

The wind is blowing roughly S.E. and the ship is in the Mersey and probably only doing about 7 Knots in constricted waters, therefore, depending on the wind speed the direction of the smoke relative to the ships travel could indeed be portrayed as is.

Stick to puddings and pies ! <grn>

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

I'd just like to know why the Nestor is steaming up stream when it should have headed West after leaving South 1 Gladstone dock.

Artistic licence ????

Pud

Quote Originally Posted by Sydernee View Post
    I'd just like to know why the Nestor is steaming up stream when it should have headed West after leaving South 1 Gladstone dock.

Artistic licence ????

Pud
    So it could pose in front of the Liver Building?.....

Ran out of brakes !

Its a picture not a photo and yes the best waterfront backdrop in the world is hard to paint but hard to resist !

The wind is blowing roughly S.E. and the ship is in the Mersey and probably only doing about 7 Knots in constricted waters, therefore, depending on the wind speed the direction of the smoke relative to the ships travel could indeed be portrayed as is.

Stick to puddings and pies ! <grn>
    Ah,an artist that cannot handle crit.

Your ship at first sight looks as though its heading towards the Irish sea,but on an second overall glance we find out that its the smoke that gives this impression.

You cannot defy the rules of painting,and if you do then the painting will fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast