Thread: Seacombe Street

Default Seacombe Street

Continuing on the theme of the long lost streets of Everton which ran between Netherfield Road and Great Homer Street and then Greaty with Scottie.

There is so much to see which is now gone in this view of Seacombe Street taken from Greaty. Taken on 13th July 1967, in view, as well as an imposing Victorian building on Northumberland Terrace is the chapel on the corner of Hapton Street and its neighbour, the Popular Cinema (both on Netherfield Road North)

With Upper Potter street and Marwood Street recently cleared, the giant 22 storey Corinth Tower overlooks that part of the city and what a view it must have been for its new residents. A tipper truck being used to take away the slum clearance debris makes it way up Aughton Street, construction on Seacombe Tower, together with its sisters Ellison and Edinburgh would be underway shortly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

What a great photo Ged.

Captures the changing of the landscape perfectly.Both the old and new in sight.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Thanks. I've since had it confirmed that the large Victorian building with the tower was Our Lady Immaculate school.

I got married in the church next to the Pop in 1964 I think it was one of the first weddings in there as the church had moved from Torr St.
    Thats the first time I have seen it in 47 years Sad thing is I think it too has now been demolished. how come these building don't last 50 years when there are places in West Derby village from 1600

Dear Sir/Madam
    Could you please send me this photie via email as Ii wish to add it to my collection of where I lived as a nipper.

Your Gratefully
    Sir George Esq.

---------- Post added 06-05-2011 at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-04-2011 at 11:54 PM ----------

Fcuk I can't remember that school in me head,I know its there in 67 but just can't place seeing it,My school mate Billy Scorer lived at the top of Hapton Street,this is where we slid down on candle waxed boards and ended up at the bottom on Nethy by that chapel.

Hows that film title go now "These dangerous years"

I forgot about me old mate Steven Cammick,he lived in those Seacombe towers.

He was a great mate,always lent me his football when he was out...well his Ma did after I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    I got married in the church next to the Pop in 1964 I think it was one of the first weddings in there as the church had moved from Torr St.
    Thats the first time I have seen it in 47 years Sad thing is I think it too has now been demolished. how come these building don't last 50 years when there are places in West Derby village from 1600

Here's the Chapel that I took just before it was demolished a few years ago. Don't forget to use the scroll bar under the pic to see it in full.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

George, I take it if you want any of these, you can just right click them and save into your computer.

The railings running up Hapton Street (alongside the Chapel in the picture) get demolished by cars on a regular basis too When we had that last downfall of epic snow there were cars still coming up and down there and one had lunched itself on them with a pole through the windscreen

Great photos Ged, loving seeing what was in the area before I was a regular in the area

You try do a skateboard down the hand rail.

Blog Entries

I lived in Upper Potter Street, just off Netherfield Road, the photo of Corinth Towers brought back memories of childhood, that block was built on our street and Anderson street, our 2up and of 2down little houses were demolished around 1962 and we moved along the road to Roscommon St to Mazzini House a group of three high rise blocks including Garibaldi and Cavour Houses.
    At the top of our street was the Popular "Pop" picture house and on a Saturday morning when my Mam went to Netherfield Rd public washouse we would go to the matinee then go along to the Washy and collect empty bleach bottles and take them back to the shop and get 1d for each bottle. Oh Happy Day's

Hello lesley. My nan, aunt and uncles were moved to Mazzini house from Prince Edwin lane and what a great view it was from their 8th floor flat.

Some pics of those heights being built, lived in and demolished on this page of my site:

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=33776503&cr=7

Blog Entries

We lived in no. 5 Mazzini and my sister lived on the sixth floor no. 29. An Aunty lived in no. 40.
    Quite a family affair. What number did you family live?
    When we moved everything was brand new and I can my Dad saying to my Mam " Well Mam this is like being on holiday" Bless.
    I went to Roscommom Street School so just fell out of bed into school.

My nan lived in No.42 with her son Jimmy. My aunt Lil and her 2nd husband Larry lived next door.