Thread: Auctions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Auctions

I am doing research into Liverpool Auctioneers and their history, especially
    Turner and Sons.
    Can anyone please help

tony436

Im at afgilmore2002@yahoo.com
    Last edited by tony436; 07-22-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: address

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tony436 View Post
    I am doing research into Liverpool Auctioneers and their history, especially
    Turner and Sons.
    Can anyone please help

tony436
    Hi Tony, good luck with your request, hope we can help
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I used to go to Turners in the 60's, they were in Mount Pleasant under the Mardi Gras club. They did a lot of bankruptcy auctions and also fire salvage auctions. It was a huge auction hall, the building was originally a cinema. They later moved to Roscoe St. into smaller premises because the bottom of Mount Pleasant was redeveloped. I believe that they are still in business why don't you contact them for information

Turner & Sons. Century Salerooms, 28-26 Roscoe Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 9DW Phone: 07053542791

There was another one on Dale St. in the courtyard behind Rigby's pub, I can't remember the name of that one.

There is a picture of the Mt. Pleasant building here

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25752

post number 41.
    Last edited by shytalk; 07-22-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default auctions

many thanks

tony

PhilipG

Default Turner & Sons - a short history.

When I was researching cinemas and theatres, Turners cropped up a few times, so I've managed to compile the following.

Turner & Sons was established by Messrs S. Turner, Winstanley, and Sons, at 44 Church Street, in 1810.
    George Turner instituted weekly furniture sales in about 1850.
    In 1906 the firm moved into the old County Court building at 80 Lime Street, which was next door to the Tivoli Palace Music Hall (later the Palais de Luxe cinema). They then advertised their premises as "The largest auction rooms in England".
    In 1910 they moved into the former Prince of Wales Theatre in Clayton Square (see attached cutting).
    The architect employed to convert the former theatre into auction rooms was none other than W. Aubrey Thomas, who was the architect of the Royal Liver Building which was under construction at that time.
    It was said that the work at the old theatre would take some months to complete, so the premises could only have been operating for about a year before the building was demolished and a new cinema (the City Picture House) was built on the site in 1912.
    Street directories will reveal where Turner's then moved to.
    When the New Century cinema in Mount Pleasant closed in 1930 Turner's moved into the ground floor which had been the waiting room. The cinema upstairs became a billiard hall, which later became the Mardi Gras club.
    Both businesses continued to occupy the building until it was demolished in the early 1970s.
    The present name of their premises derives from the name of the cinema.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1910 cutting.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	3851  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-22-2007 at 08:51 PM.

I didn't realise it was such an old firm, thanks Phillip.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

There is also Cato Crane down by the docks

Hiya ,
    What about
    Outherwaite & Litherland . or Hartley's on Moss St .
    I think the police used Hartleys mainly as auctioneers for unclaimed goods . I remember there were always loads of bikes etc ,

Good luck , your research should make interesting reading , look forward to reading all about it .
    Karen x

I always have a look in on Turner and Sons and bought a set of Global Kitchen knives there a few months ago, they sell a lot of Makro and Cosco returned goods these days.
    Hartley's have moved out of Moss Street, it always looked like it was about to fall down with large wooden props holding up the ceiling upstairs and water leaking in everywhere. They are now in Fox Street (the old Swainbanks storage place). They still sell police lots and often have dozens of bikes for sale, they even had a knight in full armour on a stuffed horse for sale once!

Default auctions

Thanks all for your help so far.Have traced Turners forebears to 1787 and sales include Wm. Roscoe collection etc. Reynolds Wax Works also in Lime St.
    As a booming and rich port the citys many auction rooms provide an interesting window on society and commerce over a long period.
    Please keep up you help,
    tony

PhilipG

The Reynolds Waxworks auction was about 1923.
    It was said that more interest was shown in the costumes than the historical figures they represented.

Default auctions

Outhwaites now gone leaving only three I think,

tony

The former Hartley's Auctioneers building in Moss Street, is now surrounded by scaffolding.