Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootle Area

Blog Entries

Default Bootle Area

A MAJOR revamp of Bootle town centre has scooped a top transport industry award. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Very glad to hear about this! Sefton Council and the Atlantic Gateway group have worked very hard indeed in-order to bring Bootle out of the dark ages in into the new. From a bus user's point of view, Stanley Road is greatly improved now that normal traffic is now not allowed to go all the way up there. However, for a car driver, this is rather annoying if you aren't familiar with the area.

What I would voice criticism over is the removal of those great Victorian/Edwardian houses in Exeter and Cambridge Roads as well as the surrounding area. What with the amount of money bing spent regenerating the Town Centre, surely, Public Realm would be greatly improved if the grand housing was left intact, rather than cleared.

Whenever I go to Bootle, there always seems to be a new building going up!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

A MULTI-MILLION pound scheme will see a famous Merseyside factory converted into apartments.

Councillors gave the go-ahead to the ambitious plans to revamp the former Johnsons Cleaners’ Bootle HQ.

It closed earlier this year.

Servite Houses wants to convert the well-known building, off Mildmay Road, into more than 100 flats and ground-floor shops.

The plans will see around 120 new two and three-bedroom houses and apartments built in the factory’s grounds once warehouses are demolished.

Servite started working on its proposal almost two years ago, informing residents the site could be developed. The firm said many of the factory’s boarded-up buildings were purpose-built for Johnsons and are no longer suitable for modern business.

The site, within walking distance of Bootle town centre, is also surrounded by houses, meaning plans for industrial use may not pass stringent new tests.

Sefton council’s planning committee was told the majority of residents supported the scheme, as well as the preservation of the main Johnsons building.

Committee chairman Ian Moncur said: “These proposals secure a sustainable future for this large site and provide a range of modern new homes for the community.

“There has been a considerable amount of engagement with residents and this has brought about a scheme which has the support of the majority of local people.

“It is another example of major housing investment in south Sefton and will no doubt play its part in the continued resurgence of Bootle.”

The firm’s links with Merseyside date back to 1817 when the Johnson Brothers launched as silk dyers. The firm, which is now the country’s biggest dry-cleaning operation, left its Bootle HQ for new premises in Prescot earlier this year.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I hear that the barracks on Strand Road are about to be demolished with operations moving to a new site near to the Girobank...

Anyone able to confirm this???
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Default Bootle Villas

I bet there is some grand history behind these in Merton Road at Bootle Village.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I bet there is some grand history behind these in Merton Road at Bootle Village.

i love those buildings ged.
    i think there are some close to that called Peel Villas, just gorgeous.
    If they were in London they would be million pound houses I bet

A warehouse on Bankhall street, the fringes of Kirkdale to Bootle.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Wallasey,

If they are the same barracks as I think you are talking about they are being demolished and an Asda supermarket is getting build in there place. If i remember correctly this has already started but I might be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    I hear that the barracks on Strand Road are about to be demolished with operations moving to a new site near to the Girobank...

Anyone able to confirm this???
    yes Asda have bought the site. the contactors are on site now, but haven't started demolishing the barracks yet. They just seem to be doing prep work at the moment. I pass there every other week going to the recycling centre.
    The last I heard they were going up towards the Girobank area, but no idea when.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    yes Asda have bought the site. the contactors are on site now, but haven't started demolishing the barracks yet. They just seem to be doing prep work at the moment. I pass there every other week going to the recycling centre.
    The last I heard they were going up towards the Girobank area, but no idea when.
    Theres a new structure being built between the Giro and salesian college not sure whether this is the new TA centre or not

Rob

Where are they planning to build an asda?
    I seem to be lost somewhere between "Bankhall" and the "Giro"

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Where are they planning to build an asda?
    I seem to be lost somewhere between "Bankhall" and the "Giro"
    Strand Rd at the back of the Strand shopping centre. There's a TA place there. that's where Asda will eventually be.

I'll pop up there in next couple of days and take some pix.

Tks quincyg
    I've seen the work going on around there!
    At first, the thought of an Asda right next to the Strand had me worried about possible loss of trade for the shops inside the Strand, but hopefully they might even benefit from having Asda so close. Look at Breck road, the shops there seem to do well, other Asda's in the area i.e. Aintree and Utting Ave are not near to shopping areas.
    When built, i will probably shop there because i go through the area a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Tks quincyg
    I've seen the work going on around there!
    At first, the thought of an Asda right next to the Strand had me worried about possible loss of trade for the shops inside the Strand, but hopefully they might even benefit from having Asda so close. Look at Breck road, the shops there seem to do well, other Asda's in the area i.e. Aintree and Utting Ave are not near to shopping areas.
    When built, i will probably shop there because i go through the area a few times a week.
    well it's certainly needed. Tesco is a shambles at the mo. they are going to be moving into the old Kwik Save/Somerfield unit upstairs by Peacocks in March or April. The till queues have been ridiculous. The store just isn't big enough to cope with demand. They won't go out of business even when Asda open. They'll still have their regular trade. The only reason Somerfield lost out there was the prices. I only go to the one in Linacre Rd if desperate. Sainsbury's are cheaper!

I'm hoping to get out and about tomoz so I'll put Strand Rd on my list of places to snap. I'll get pix of the new Stella Nova building too. That's coming along good style.

there's a small sign saying Asda coming soon. the barracks is still standing. there's a lot of empty land behind so plenty of space for the store and parking.
    new fencing up now so couldn't see too much.

the new Stella Nova

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast