Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church on Mount Vernon street

Default Church on Mount Vernon street

Hi

Does anyone know what happened to The Church of Our Lady of Mercy on Mount Vernon St? I'm assuming that it was demolished for expansion of the University Hospital.

Thanks
    Val

It must have been-both sides of the street are hospital car parks and outbuildings. There's only sacred heart church left in that immediate area,and st mary's up the hill.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by valbee View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know what happened to The Church of Our Lady of Mercy on Mount Vernon St? I'm assuming that it was demolished for expansion of the University Hospital.

Thanks
    Val
    It's been demolished.
    Last edited by taffy; 07-29-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Hi
    Thank you both. I've been of a bit of an internet wild goose chase trying to find the whereabouts of The Church of Our Lady of Mercy where my husband's ggrandparents were married. Just to confuse things, I found the Liverpool Area RC Marriage Index gave the church as Sacred Heart.
    As the church was demolished, the records must have transferred to Sacred Heart.
    Another little family history mystery solved! I wish all the places I'm searching had such brilliant forums like this and Merseyside Genealogy & History.

Val

PhilipG

Default Mount Vernon Street (1936 directory).

There was a convent called "Mount Vernon Convent of the Sisters of Mercy" and next door was "St Joseph's Select School" (Conducted by Sisters of Mercy). These were between Curzon Street and Bernard Street.
    Were marriages held in Convents (apart from Brides of Christ)?
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-25-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Hi

Perhaps it was a large church that had a convent attached. The marriage was in 1882 so going back quite a bit. Something else I must look up when I visit Liverpool to dig through archives.

Cheers
    Val

PhilipG

There wasn't a church called Sisters of Mercy, or Our Lady of Mercy.
    The point I was making was that there was a Convent with that name, in Mount Vernon Street, and there was a chapel in the convent.
    I don't know for sure if public marriages ever took place in convents, but I don't think so.
    Perhaps somebody else knows.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-28-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Default Convent church

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    There wasn't a church called Sisters of Mercy, or Our Lady of Mercy.
    The point I was making was that there was a Convent with that name, in Mount Vernon Street, and there was a chapel in the convent.
    I don't know for sure if public marriages ever took place in convents, but I don't think so.
    Perhaps somebody else knows.
    The convent ran one of the infamous Magdalen institutions for unmarried mothers. I suppose it's possible the convent church was used for marriages but I agree it would be unusual. Having said that Our Lady of the Assumption Bishop Eton Church in Wavertree was a monastery church which assumed parish functions.
    Last edited by taffy; 07-29-2007 at 10:18 AM.

PhilipG

The correct address was Mount Vernon Street, as I said.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The correct address was Mount Vernon Street, as I said.
    Thanks for the correction Philip. I was looking at the wrong street !!!

Default Mount Vernon St School and Convent

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place, so apologies in advance, I am new to this site.

I seen this thread via a google search and thought it was best place to start my search. Does anybody remember going to Sacred Heart Infant School 1936 - 1939? And does anybody have any photographs at all of either the Infant school back then or the convent itself. We have serached to no avail for photos. I am searching on behalf of my mum who was born in 1932 Bernard Street and attended Sacred Heart Infant School.

I believe Mrs McCardle was the caretaker of the school? Can anyone clarify?

Any direction on this would be fab! or Anywhere I can get hold of peoples memories from the school/convent woul dbe much appreciated?

Thanks
    Last edited by hippychick; 08-07-2007 at 11:14 PM.

hi hippychick,
    have you tried the "Scottie press" site? they've got plenty of info', and even photo's, of schools in that area.(old, and no longer here)
    steve

PhilipG

The 1936 directory doesn't mention a caretaker, and there are only 2 McCardles listed, both men, one in Old Swan and the other in West Derby.
    The Record Office have some school records.

Thanks for the info! Will let you know how I get on

Default Convent of Mercy and Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by valbee View Post
    Hi
    Thank you both. I've been of a bit of an internet wild goose chase trying to find the whereabouts of The Church of Our Lady of Mercy where my husband's ggrandparents were married. Just to confuse things, I found the Liverpool Area RC Marriage Index gave the church as Sacred Heart.
    As the church was demolished, the records must have transferred to Sacred Heart.
    Another little family history mystery solved! I wish all the places I'm searching had such brilliant forums like this and Merseyside Genealogy & History.

Val
    Photo attached, courtesy of the Liverpool Record Office
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mount Vernon St Liverpool 02683.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	4026  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast