Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool in the 90's

Default Liverpool in the 90's

What was Liverpool like in the 1990's? Did you have the high velocity of the drug gangs that you have now? Or did the club scene which seemed to be huge in the 90's attract the younger element away from the violence that seems to have been so prevalent in the last decade in Liverpool?

I genuinely am interested in reading the replies from people that have lived in Liverpool and in the surrounding areas.

Sorry for the suspicious approach, but as this is your first post any chance you can give something about your background, and say why you are so interested in this information and what you intend to do with it. As you say "did you have" I assume you are from outside the city.

So there's no club scene anymore? Could have fooled me, my girls roll in from the Pleasure rooms and Sunrise after 6am when it shuts.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

There were no packs of black clad predators roaming around during the 90s - well, not many that I remember - certainly not in my area anyway.
    Yes, we had bad lads - there was always a ring leader and some petty anti-social stuff, we would complain about a bit of rowdyness or a football being kicked outside your door - you'd get some back chat from them - but it pales into insignificance to what is happening now.

I'm with Ste on this one in asking why you wish to know.

Your question has two presuppositions in it - that there is a high velocity of the drug gangs now (presumably in comparison with somewhere else in your mind?) and that violence seems to have been so prevalent in the last decade in Liverpool (again compared to where? London? Manchester? Brooklyn? Cheadle Hume? Gloucester?)

You appear to be pre-judging quite significantly if you are doing a genuine piece of research.

Perhaps if you give a bit of background and more neutral phrasing????

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    So there's no club scene anymore? Could have fooled me, my girls roll in from the Pleasure rooms and Sunrise after 6am when it shuts.

And you have Funkybox, X and the city, Krazyhouse once a month also have those bars open until 4.

Club scene is very vibrant.

Terminology is a bit obscure?? "High velocity" as in, they can run very fast

I was wondering about that too. Though maybe the word had changed meaning as words are likely to.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

What has been asked about about Liverpool, has been asked the wrong way round. Liverpool is the (Greatest city ever), I should
    know, I have been to most cities in this world, when i was shipping out.
    I always came back and still live here.

samanthacheryl

Just looked at this thread, Liverpool had a very vibrant and safe nightlife in the 90's. Loads of times I would have to walk down Church St to meet friends.
    I used to go to Friday's Club, The Cavern and The Buzz.
    Had no troubles at all, I haven't been out clubbing in Liverpool for years so I don't know what it is like.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthacheryl View Post
    Just looked at this thread, Liverpool had a very vibrant and safe nightlife in the 90's. Loads of times I would have to walk down Church St to meet friends.
    Had no troubles at all, I haven't been out clubbing in Liverpool for years so I don't know what it is like.
    ooh yeah - - Fridays club - I'd forgotten about it
    I went there a number of times and I knew someone who worked behind the bar.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by samanthacheryl View Post
    In the 90's it was safer because all the clubbers where into E's.They where all "loved up".
    Later on the E's where not fashionable as the raves went too.So Cocaine was the next "in thing".The result-Clubbers thinking they're made of concrete and not scared of anything because they've had a few lines.
    Cocaine can cause a person to be violent as well as stupid.

Since when has Liverpool been a bad place to go, I have been going out into Liverpool for the last 20 years and feel just as safe now as when I first started going out, A few years ago we had some people coming to stay with us who had never been to Liverpool before, they were panicing, hiding their money and looking really worried when we first went out, After an hour they couldnt get enough of the place, they were amazed how friendly scousers were and loved all the pubs and clubs, they have been coming back to Liverpool ever since for "nights out", I dont think as a major city we have any more problems than other cities , its just that cos its Liverpool people have the wrong idea!!!

Well said. By and large we know it's like that cos we live here and when some no mark tit like Boris Johnson who hadn't been here says otherwise and we defend ourselves we're suddenly 'self pity' city' - best let people see it and sample it for themsleves.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

All in All I could probably count on one hand the number of fights I have seen whilst being out in Liverpool, I havent enough fingers and toes to count the amount of good nights out i have had there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast