Hello everyone,

I think this is my first post here, so thanks for having me! I am the current E-PR officer for National Museums Liverpool and I hope it is ok if I let you know about an exciting new museum and an upcoming exhibition, that explore different aspects of Liverpool's rich history. This seemed to be the most relevant place to post!

Firstly, a new International Slavery Museum will be opening on August 23rd, within the Maritime Museum building. This really is going to be unique, as it will be the only museum of its kind in the UK!

2007 is the bicentenary of the abolition of the British slave trade and 23 August (Slavery Remembrance Day) commemorates the date of the outbreak of the slave rebellion, which created the first independent Black republic of Haiti.

Parts of the exhibitions will of course look at Liverpool's part in the slave trade and as the Museum will be located on the Albert Docks, it will be only yards away from the dry docks where 18th century slave trading ships were repaired and fitted out.

The museum's displays will address the legacy of transatlantic slavery and issues such as freedom, identity, human rights, reparations, racial discrimination and cultural change. The museum will also look at the lasting impact of slavery and the slave trade on Africa, South America, the USA, the Caribbean and Western Europe.

It is hoped that the International Slavery Museum will provide opportunities for greater awareness and understanding of the legacy of slavery today.

For more information, go to: www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism

Also, an upcoming exhibition that may be of interest to those wanting to find out more about Liverpool's history and development, is the Magical History Tour exhibition. This will be located in the Merseyside Maritime Museum at the Albert Docks. This exhibition allows you to make a trip of discovery in celebration of 800 years of Liverpool history. You can 'travel back in time' and meet some of the city’s inhabitants who will help you explore Liverpool’s growth from a tiny fishing village to a bustling Victorian city of worldwide significance.

Magical History Tour
28 July 2007 to 27 September 2009
This exhibition is supported by the Liverpool Culture Company
For more information go to: http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...ical/index.asp

Thanks for taking the time to read about our exhibition and new venue, I hope this post has been of interest!

Lisa.