Thread: Paradox nightclub/Vernons Pools Clocktower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    georgie t

Arrow Paradox nightclub/Vernons Pools Clocktower

Football pools has started in 1923 when John Moores and two friends handed out 4000 coupons outside Old Trafford. Initially, the business was slow and John Moores bought out his two partners who had lost confidence in the loss-making enterprise.

Moores quickly turned Littlewoods round and millions of working people began to spend a few pence each week in what was the only national gambling competition (at that time it was based on agents house-calling rather than by mail).

Vernons followed in 1925 – making Liverpool the centre of an industry which employed thousands of women checking the weekly returns, Vernons closed around 1975.

Not much history can be found about the buildings later use as the Paradox, aside from it opened around 1992 and closed around May 2002 for 'Refurbishment', but was never reopened. The vast majority of the building was demolished around 2007, but the art-deco tower remains as it has listed status.

a review of the Paradox:

"A huge purpose built mega–club on the outskirts of town. Not cool or alternative, devoid of character and atmosphere. It's that cheesy corporate clubbing experience that every city seems to have these days and once inside, you could be in any one of them. You arrive, you get rid of your coat, you queue at the bar, you dance to some charty/disco tunes, you drink more to dull the pain, you get in a cab to go home."

i never went to this club because quite frankly i wasnt into that kind of music,but it was certainly good after all these yrs to be finally in your clock towerz

i havent been exploring much in liverpool lately, however heres the latest offering

explored with xan asmondi

vernons pools

the club in full swing

fast forward 10 or so yrs and a pic taken in the same spot slightly zoomed in (you can just make out an old flouro sign to the right of the tower)

an old till or something left lying around outside

also log books from its last use

an old cash office with the safes still inside

various paperwork left lting round

up into the clocktower

and onto the roof among the various mobile phone masts

a few views

Excellent Pictures. Spent a few Saturdays in the Paradox. I was there when 'Who Let the Dogs Out' boys, the Braha Men I think they where called, was playing and Kev Seed was the DJ. I was also there at New Years Eve 2001.

Thanks for the Old Vernons picture, I love those oldies.

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Amigo View Post
    Excellent Pictures. Spent a few Saturdays in the Paradox. I was there when 'Who Let the Dogs Out' boys, the Braha Men I think they where called, was playing and Kev Seed was the DJ. I was also there at New Years Eve 2001.

Thanks for the Old Vernons picture, I love those oldies.
    cheers m8 much appreciated

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Brilliant stuff, Georgie. Such a waste of a building, would be great for some some of graphic design company
    cheers bud it certainley would be good just done up and lit up at night with the clocks restored

Well thats a look at some of the rubbish you found there MrG...and a look through the clock tower,but what happened to the internal view of the Paradox?

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Well thats a look at some of the rubbish you found there MrG...and a look through the clock tower,but what happened to the internal view of the Paradox?
    no internal view as the club is long gone hence the title 'clocktower'

Quote Originally Posted by georgie t View Post
    no internal view as the club is long gone hence the title 'clocktower'
    Yes, only the Clocktower stands now as its deemed 'an antique' by the Heritage folks (I think).

Why wasn't the rest of the building saved?? Any ideas GT?

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Amigo View Post
    Yes, only the Clocktower stands now as its deemed 'an antique' by the Heritage folks (I think).

Why wasn't the rest of the building saved?? Any ideas GT?
    i cant find any info as to why the rest got demo'd sorry,its not like there was ant old clock workings inside the tower or anything,looks like it was all electric

I think the flat or the lower building was insignificant due to the fact that the clocktower was Art Deco and the rest was just plain build ie didn't have the Art Deco appearence.

Brilliant stuff, Georgie. Such a waste of a building, would be great for some some of graphic design company

The only reason that the Paradox tower is still standing is because there's a mobile phone mast situated on the roof (contract still in force?) the same applies to Kensington Market in Prescot Road, I should think.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Is the Parodox enviroment or development ?? Do we need 2 sections of the forum for what after all is only a square box left behind after demolition
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Sad to see this local landmark in such bad shape. Fabulous photographs though. Thank you.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

We had one of our works xmas dos in the Paradox in the 90s after all meeting first in the Manhattan Square across the way. I think that's still there. I remember this building well in the 70s as the Ribble bus station was just by it and we used to get the 59 from Skelhorne st to Old Roan and fish for stickleback in the canal just behind here, the nets bought from a sweet shop that was on Altway.

Years later, in the 80s, I dealt with a firm called Marine Manpower Services on the Aintree Industrial Estate facing this, before B&Q and Mackies on the retail park. Small units, the place was run by Scottish brothers Jim and John Gannon - nice blokes.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Question: How similar were the towers for Vernons and Littlewoods? As far as I can see, they were very similar but maybe there were some differences. Did they have the same architect or different architects? Both I think in the Art Deco style. Since they were rival firms, I assume they were built by different architects and contractors.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace