Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings / Family Keohane in pre-war Liverpool

Default Greetings / Family Keohane in pre-war Liverpool

Hello Everyone. Do any of you know someone with the surname Keohane? I'm currently on a quest to discover my family's past and have been informed by my auntie last night that her Grandad (therefore my Gr-Grandad, Jeremiah Keohane, born in Ireland in 1863) resided in Liverpool before World War II (he resided in Salford for a long, long time beforehand). According to her, he binned his wife (?) and settled with a woman much (!) younger than he and had 5 children with her. My auntie remembers him visiting while she was quite young to inform her father (my Grandad) of his news and God knows what else. In theory, if this is all 100% true, then there's every chance some rather old lady (ies) or gentleman (men) and their families are out there. If you know something about a Keohane in your neighbourhood who may fit into this little story or you can point me in a useful direction, please contact me. Sincere thanks in advance and best wishes, Gary

Hi Gary
    1901 census

Jeremiah Keohane b 1864 ( County Cork ) ireland foreman labourer corporation
    Maria M nee Young b 1863 Wrexham
    Margaret E 1881 Salford
    Mary 1890 Salford
    John James 1892 Salford
    Annie Win 1895 1885 Salford
    Catherin 1898 Salford
    34, Walmer St Salford
    3 more children after census
    Mary Francis 1903
    Denis 1904
    Augustine Noel 1906
    ? 1st Mary 1890 died name recycled again for 1903

Marriages

Jeremiah Keohane to Maria Margaret Young Dec 1884 Salford 8b 188
    Jeremiah " to Annie Danks Dec 1940 St Helens 8b 2007

Births to Annie and Jeremiah

Mary I Keohane 1919 Prescot mother Danks
    Norah 1922 Prescot " "
    James D 1929 Prescot " "

Death
    Jeremiah Keohane June 1941 Prescot 8b 1320 age 77yrs only married a few months before dying

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Dot

I'm sure Gary will be most pleased with all that info Dot, "Well Done"!

Thanks Norm

A very good morning to you Dot (and Norm) on this wonderful (still) spring morning.

My apologies for not writing sooner. Sincere thanks for providing me with the information above, although I regret to inform you that details from the 1901 Census, which you've kindly quoted above aren't entirely accurate.

Margaret Ellen was b. in 1887.
    John JOSEPH b. is correct.
    It was indeed CatherinE.
    The infant who unfortunately died was Ellen b. 1896 & d. 1898.
    The last 3 are correct, although dates given are those at the time of births being registered. Augustine Noel (my Grandad) was born in December 1905.

Next come the 3 children born between 1919 and 1929. Without the want to question your findings, just how accurate is this information? My 83-year auntie's mentioned the fact that her Grandad did have offspring with his partner. As for James D. Keohane being the youngest, there's every chance (one would hope) he's still alive? Would you (or anyone else) have a confirmed address so I may contact him by post (again, if he's till alive of course)? Also, I'm actually wondering why they were called Keohane and not Danks bearing in mind they didn't get married 'til just before his death. Last but not least, I contacted the Prescot Parish Council (Mr / Mrs Rigby to be precise) via email on Thursday to enquire if my Gr-Grandad is buried in Prescot and if yes, precisely where. To think, I lived in Warrington in my teens, which is only 11 miles away!

Would you be able to answer my queries Dot (or anyone else for that matter)? Especially finding out if James is still with us? I very much look forward to your reply. With sincere regards, Gary
    Last edited by Manc-Lad; 05-07-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added bits, which went unnoticed before.

Hello Gary,
    Re 1901 census, i can only give you information as found on the census, the children from his 2nd relationship can be found on the FreeBMD site which gives the mothers maiden name post November 1911 ( but obviously not in this case as not married, fathers consent required to have his surname on certificate )
    On genes reunited there is a person called Lesley who has the last 3 children and parents Danks and Keohane on their tree she will be able to give you more details and possible burial site for Jeremiah around the Prescot area
    Regards
    Dot

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Ps just rechecked the 1901 census it was 1887 for Margaret and not 1881 as i had previously stated.

Good morning Dot.

Sincere thanks for your suggestion. I've duly joined genesreunited (on Saturday), found Lesley's details and contacted her. I very much look forward to her response. Joining the website also helped me discover other things, which I've not been aware of since I started researching my family's past in 2007. So a big thank you to you!

The other mystery, which I'd like to solve is my Gr-Grandmother's cirumstances (i.e. Maria, Margaret) as there's no trace of her after the 1901 Census. Both my aunties (84 and 83 years old) were (are) aware that their Grandfather had a relationship and children were involved. Sadly, they're not in the know as to Maria's circumstances (they were close to their mother's side of the family more than their father's).

I'm hopeful genesreunited may solve this mystery. If you, however, have any information of your own, then I'd be most grateful if you'd share it with me.

Sincere regards and enjoy your week. Gary

Hello Gary,
    I cannot find a death for Maria Keohane nor if she reverted back to Young, however there is a marriage for Denis in Wrexham of all places which you may know of in 1933 no children can be found from the marriage covering the rest of the country.
    Maria is on the 1911 census with Jeremiah and children.
    Regards
    Dot

Hi Dot.

Where Denis Keohane is concerned, your findings are correct. He married a Pollie Wilbraham (b. 1900) in Wrexham in 1933. There were no children as she couldn't have any.

As for Maria, I've tried finding her in the 1911 Census but to no avail. Where have you seen it?

Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,
    Jeremiah,s surname is minus the E on the end, address is 14, Rudman St Salford for a street search.
    There is a death for a Mary M Keohane but it is in Surrey in 1940 age 78yrs correct age for Maria but wrong christian name or transcribing error, are all her children accountable for Salford or did any move away.
    Dot

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Dot, you are amazing!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hi Roni
    I think i need to get out more and smell the flowers LOL

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Hi Gary,
    There is a marriage for a John J Keohane to Emily M Keohane in Epsom Surrey March 1917 Epsom 2a 76 if this is your John James then possibly that was his mothers Maria,s death wrongly put down as Mary.
    Regards
    Dot

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Hi Roni

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Hi Gary,
    There is a marriage for a John J Keohane to Emily M Keohane in Epsom Surrey March 1917 Epsom 2a 76 if this is your John James then possibly that was his mothers Maria,s death wrongly put down as Mary.
    Regards
    Dot
    You should set up as a private investigator to find peoples families, or get a job with 'Who do you think you are' You are so good at this. People look for years and you get it in a day or two......................well done Dot
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hello Dot.

I hope this message finds you fit and well. My aplogies for not writing any sooner. Your findings about the surname Keohane not having an "E" on the end is correct as I've been informed of this in the past. The address is a match though. As for Mary M. Keohane... I'm clueless on that one. I've just spoken to my Auntie Theresa where she wasn't quite sure who she used to stay with in Surrey. She thinks it was her Nanna (i.e. Maria, Margaret) whereas her sister (namely my Auntie Mary) says it was their Auntie Winnie (i.e. Winfried). Is there any chance I can access the (death) record so I can have a look at it myself? Also, Auntie Thereas mentioned in our last telephone conversation that family did move down south (i.e. London and Surrey).

Sincere regards, Gary

Hi Gary,
    Jeremiah,s surname is minus the E on the end, address is 14, Rudman St Salford for a street search.
    There is a death for a Mary M Keohane but it is in Surrey in 1940 age 78yrs correct age for Maria but wrong christian name or transcribing error, are all her children accountable for Salford or did any move away.
    Dot

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Hi Dot. I've been informed of this find in the past in another forum. I therefore assume this as being correct and the John J. Keohane as being my Grandad's elder brother (although one can never be 100% if that makes any sense?).

Sincere regards, Gary

Hi Roni

Hi Gary,
    Regards
    Dot

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Hello Dot.

In response to you providing Lesley's name (thank you), I contacted her on the 7th May in genesrunited without any response, with is a shame. I've just contacted her again earlier this evening and hope for a reply soon. I just hope she will. I've been on the freeBMD website and located James D. Keohane's birth record. I also tried death records (i.e. from Mar 1950 - Dec 1983 (as far as it would go)) but there are no records of him passing away between these two dates. If Lesley doesn't respond, do you know of any other way I can trace James D. Keohane? Realistically speaking if any of the 3 siblings are still alive, he might still be since he was the youngest. What do you think?

Sincere regards, Gary

Hello Gary,
    Re 1901 census, i can only give you information as found on the census, the children from his 2nd relationship can be found on the FreeBMD site which gives the mothers maiden name post November 1911 ( but obviously not in this case as not married, fathers consent required to have his surname on certificate )
    On genes reunited there is a person called Lesley who has the last 3 children and parents Danks and Keohane on their tree she will be able to give you more details and possible burial site for Jeremiah around the Prescot area
    Regards
    Dot

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Ps just rechecked the 1901 census it was 1887 for Margaret and not 1881 as i had previously stated.

Hi Gary,
    The death in Surrey will be your g/gran the only way to see the info would be to go to Surret where she died or pay £9-50 or thereabouts on line through the General Register Office GRO for a quick response and it will be posted to you it is a home office site don,t use others as they will be very pricy

I have found a death for a James Dennis Keohane for 2004 registered in Jan
    Mary I Keohane 1919 wed James H Glover 1940 Prescot
    children
    Maureen 1942 Prescot
    Colette 1950 "
    Anne 1954 "
    Sheila 1954 "
    Above names are listed on Genesreunited Lesley,s name is there along with more names so you have few more choices of contact, i will never understand why people pay to join and have their tree on site when in some cases are unwilling to release info, my answer to that is save the yearly payment and keep a file at home !
    There is another way of contacting people is through the 192 sevice it charges but i am unsure of the cost, some times a no shows up without paying but could be old no,s try G R 1st and see how you go.
    Dot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast