Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Like You’ve Never Been Away

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    I hope it wasn't Mick Groves ! What was the main difference between the two, Gerard ?
    Mick Groves..?..doesn't ring a bell Marty..

The headmaster was a Charlie Traynor.. one b******...
    There were a few loons that carried their sticks everywhere and terrified the boys for
    larking about on the corridors...I remember seeing movies in the main hall, we'd pay in to see the likes of 'Goodbye Mr Chips'...the lessons were great what I remember, the school was great overall.. the annexe part was a small building, I dont think it had many classrooms from what I remember. SFX was a great school, it was very strict...VERY strict....I got a bit of a shock when I left for St Gregs and the lads I knew went bevvieing with the school teachers in the Farmers Arms on Roscommon St in the dinner hour...the 2 schools were only a few hundred yards apart, they were a million miles apart as far as education went..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Gerard, and yes Traynor was exactly as you describe !!

I think the entrance to the primary school I was thinking of was in Carver Street.???? Well it was a while ago!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    Mick Groves..?..doesn't ring a bell Marty..

The headmaster was a Charlie Traynor.. one b******...
    There were a few loons that carried their sticks everywhere and terrified the boys for
    larking about on the corridors...I remember seeing movies in the main hall, we'd pay in to see the likes of 'Goodbye Mr Chips'...the lessons were great what I remember, the school was great overall.. the annexe part was a small building, I dont think it had many classrooms from what I remember. SFX was a great school, it was very strict...VERY strict....I got a bit of a shock when I left for St Gregs and the lads I knew went bevvieing with the school teachers in the Farmers Arms on Roscommon St in the dinner hour...the 2 schools were only a few hundred yards apart, they were a million miles apart as far as education went..

Mick Groves was born in the City of Salford nr Manchester. After his schooldays he went to Hopwood Hall Teacher Training College. He then began teaching in Liverpool. He followed this profession for six years in various secondary schools ending up as Head of Science at St Fancis Xaviers Bi-Lateral Boys before leaving to go on the road with The Spinners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123