Thread: Where do I start? Please help

Default Where do I start? Please help

Hi, my name is Michele and I'm trying to do a bit of family research on behalf of my father now living in New Zealand. He was born in Liverpool and when his father died he went to an orphanage. My father was too young to remember what year this was and has asked me to find out. (I'm a kiwi now living in Dundee.)
    I have my father's parents 1911 Census records and my father's birth certificate but have no idea how to continue.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,

Michele

Blog Entries

Why?
    It seems such a tiny part of his life. So tiny he has not been able to recall the least thing about it all.
    If you do a search on this site for 'parish records' you will discover that many are now available to view online.

Your next step is to find out the last address his father was residing before his death and once found you should contact that parishes record office for births and death certificates?

Hi Michelle,welcome to Yo!
    you could try contacting Liverpool social services,as possibly,they will have some sort of record of his admission to the home.Also,what religion was/is he? as Catholic social services ran many homes,hostels,etc,in Liverpool,and surrounding area's,though I'd guess they wouldn't be that specific?!I'll look up some contact no's tomorrow,as I'm now off to bed!

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Good luck Michelle, I hope you get the help you need here. They are very good about hunting relatives down for you.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.