Sugar has been associated with Liverpool for centuries. Henry Tate opened his new refinery in Love Lane in 1872, amalgamating with Lyle’s in l921. The world famous firm finally closed 60 years later – but the name remains, a permanent reminder, above the doors of the art gallery, the Tate Liverpool, on Albert Dock.
The history of Tate’s is not just about dates, however - or philanthropy, or new processes - it’s about the people who worked there, especially the women. They have their own stories to tell about being part of a factory family. The following tales, which span the last 50 years of Tate and Lyle, are recalled by the women who worked in sugar. More...
Image courtesy of Liverpool City Library and the Records Office: