The origins of the street names of Liverpool
Was named after Sir Ralph Abercromby who was killed in 1801 at Alexandria, Egypt, after he had successfully landed his forces at Aboukir.
Ackers Hall Avenue
Named after the Hall, to which the avenue led, the Dower House of Lady Molyneaux, widow of Sir Patrick Molyneaux 1568.
Named after Joseph Addison, poet, essayist and statesman
Was originally Sickman?s Lane, in times of plague the sick were kept isolated from the rest of the towns people, in cabins in the area, or Deadman?s Lane the poor being buried in the vicinity.
Adjacent to the Albert dock, named after Prince Albert, Victoria?s Consort.
The name is derived from Hangfield, which was the original name of Breckfield Road North.
Named after John, Duke of Argyle.
Named after John Ashton a well-known slave trader.
Named after the Atherton Family, who donated the land to the town, the family was involved in the slave trade.
Named after the Duke of Athol, who was given the freedom of the city in 1737
Given its name by a merchant Mr. Hunter from Liverpool, who laid out the street, who was engaged in the Virginian tobacco trade.
Named after General Sir Banastre Tarleton MP, who fought in the American war of independence. Tarleton defended the slave trade in Parliament.
One of the original Streets, probably named for the embankment that ran along its length, changed to Water Street in the 16th century.
Named after the second home of the Moore family, the hall was demolished in 1770.
Named after Christopher Basnett the minister of Key Street Chapel, the street was laid out in 1770.
Named after the Seawater baths built on the riverfront in 1765, the baths were demolished in 1817 to make way for the Princes dock.
Named for the Duke of Beaufort who was the guardian of William Molyneux, 1st Earl of Sefton who was orphaned at the age of eight.
Named after the Civil engineer Charles Beloe, Liberal representative for the Abercromby Ward.
Named after the Benson Family.
Named after the cottage in Lodge Lane, which was to be the last home of William Roscoe, who died there in 1831.
Named after the towns second dock engineer Henry Berry.
Named after Thomas Bixteth Mayor of Liverpool 1701.
Named after John Blackburne, Mayor of Liverpoolin1760, who had a house on the land, Blackburne House. Blackburne was also involved in the slave trade.
Named after Admiral, Robert Blake, commander of the Parliamentary forces during the Civil war.
Was named after Jonus Bold who held the lease for the land during the 18th century, he was also a merchant in the slave trade.
Named after John Bolton a wealthy merchant of the town, reported to have fought and won the last reported duel in Liverpool.
Was home to the second botanical gardens.
It marks the ancient boundary between Liverpool and Kirkdale.
The word Breck is derived from and old English word meaning uncultivated land.
Breckfield Road North
Was Hangfield Lane, meaning an ancient division of land.
Named After Thomas Bridge a drunken fellow according to Edward Moore.
Commemorates the opening of the Bridgewater Canal in 1773.
Named after Admiral, Lord Bridport, the brother of Lord Hood, who was second in command on the ?Glorious First of June?, when the French were defeated in 1794, west of Ushant.
Named after city engineer (1898-1925) John Alexander Brodie, inventor of football goal nets and pre-fabricated houses.
Named after an estate in Everton, owned by wine merchant Mr, Woodhouse
Named after the Brooks family whose garden the alley was laid through. Joseph Brooks was an 18th century slave trade merchant.
Named after Henry Peter, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, Lord Chancellor of England.
Brownlow Hill and Street
One of the ancient meanings of the word low is hill, so Brownlow simply means Brown hill.
Originally Folly Lane, is said to have been given the name Brunswick through a mistake, when one of the workmen, who was sympathetic to Caroline the Consort of George IV, chalked the name Brunswick Place on the sign. The senior painter on returning saw the name and thinking a person in authority had changed it copied it. Brunswick place was to later become Brunswick road.
Named after John Button the Leaseholder when the street was laid out in 1722. Buttons claim to fame was that he had lived during the reign of six different Monarchs.
Previously named Towns End Lane, the name for the end of Dale Street, then Dog Kennel Lane after the neighbouring corporation housed its kennels there, it was renamed Byrom Street after George Byrom, a pavior and builder, who had a yard nearby.
First mentioned in the Municipal records of 1701, probably named for the rope and cable making industry that was evident in the street at the time.
Named after Sir Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden, Lord Chancellor1766-70, and president of the council.
First called Pot House Lane, then named after George Campbell who was Mayor in 1763,
Campbell was a slave trader, as well as a sugar merchant.
Is situated on the site of the Old Dock and is named after George Canning MP.
Named after Mr Carver who was a steward to the Earl of Derby
Named after Thomas Case brother-in-law to Sarah Clayton.
Named for its Proximity to the Castle, the great English author Daniel Defoe is said to have stayed in the house of Samuel Done which was one of the houses situated in the Street.
Commemorates the shipwrights of the neighbouring shipyards
One of the original Streets, named after the castle erected in the thirteenth century.
Named after the Mother of William Jones, who was the first to build a house on the Street.
Named after Joseph Cazneau a merchant, who was the first to build a house on the Street.
Named After one of the owners of the local Limekiln.
Another of the original Streets named not for the Church of St Nicholas but for the Chapel of St Mary Del Quay, built at Least 100 years before St Nicholas.
Named after William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, Known as ?The Great Commoner?.
Named after the Potter Philip Christian who was reputed to have been the first to erect a house on the Street.
Named after St Peters church the Pro-Cathedral between the years 0f 1880-1922, the church was the oldest building in Twentieth century Liverpool, before being demolished.
Named after the Duke of Clarence. (Who was later to become, William IV,) in recognition of the support he gave in favour of the slave trade. In 1799, the city conferred on him the freedom of the borough.
Named after Sarah Clayton who designed it, C. 1745, Sarah was the Daughter of William Clayton MP.
Named after John Cleveland mayor of Liverpool 1703 and MP from 1710-1713.
Takes its name from the coal market that was held on the corner of Market Street, with the weighing machine for the coal being in Coal Street
The site of one of Liverpool?s cock fighting pits.
Named after John Colquitt a Customs collector.
Named after an incident in the days of the Window tax. Because the residents of the Row had to pay tax on each individual pane of glass, they decided to make the few they had as large as possible, which was to lead to a dispute with the Inland Revenue. A "Commutation" or agreement being reached resolved the situation, hence the name.
Named after the concert hall that stood on the corner
This Street was mentioned as early as the fifteenth century, and was probably named for cook?s premises that once occupied the site.
Named after Lt General Stapleton Cotton 1st Viscount, Combermer, Governor of Barbados. Given the freedom of the city for his wartime service.
Named for the copper works that was situated in the Street, the works were forced to move (1756) due to the foul smell, the name however remained.
Named after Charles 1st Marquis Cornwallis, Governor General of India, who negotiated the peace of Amiens in 1802.
Named after Justice Creswell, MP for Liverpool from 1837-42.
Named after James Cropper a shipping Merchant, Pacifist and Quaker.
Named after the family residence of the Crosse family, the house once stood on the site of the Municipal buildings.
Named after the Earl of Sefton?s home Croxteth Hall
Named as a memorial to the regiment of Liverpool volunteers who under the command of the Duke of Cumberland defended Carlisle against the rebels.
Named after Foster Cunliffe, who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1716/29/ 35, Cunliffe was a merchant whose epitaph described him as being a man of Honesty and diligence, a credit to his country and himself, a magistrate who administered justice impartially, and a devout Christian, however his epitaph neglected to mention that he was involved in one of the most heinous crimes of the century, the slave trade.
Led to the site of the third customhouse, built close to the Old Dock.
Another of the original Street?s probably named for the Dale, which it ran through.
Named after Pudsey Dawson co-founder of Liverpool?s blind school, Mayor in 1799, Colonel of the Royal Liverpool Volunteers.
Named after Daniel Daulby, who owned the land, he was the
Husband to the only sister of William Roscoe.
Named after Richard Deane who owned a Ropery on the site.
Named after William Denison part owner of a Privateer.
Named after the Earls of Derby, site of Liverpool castle, present site of the Victoria monument.
Named after Felix Doran an Irish Merchant, who lived in Lord Street, Doran was prominent in the Slave trade, making a profit on one sale alone of ?28,000.
Was originally Entwhistle Street named after the Drury Theatre designed and erected by Thomas Steers.
Named after the Dublin Steam Packet Company that had their berth close by.
Named after the Duke of Cumberland, the brother of King George II.
Originally Hotham Street, re-named Duncan Street in honour of Admiral Adam, Viscount Duncan, for his victory over the Dutch Admiral De Winter, off Camperdown.
Named after William Durning a wealthy merchant of the town.
Was originally Rake Lane.
Named after the Earle Family, merchants in the slave trade.
Named after William Eberle, town caterer for sixteen years.
Originally William Street
Edge Lane so called for its position along the edge of the township, being the dividing line between West Derby and Wavertree.
Was Mill House Lane, changed by Sir Cleave Moore in honour of his new bride Ann Edmund.
Named after John Scott, 1stEarl of Eldon, Lord Chancellor, who held office from 1801-27.
Is named after Sir George Augustus Elliot the defender of Gibraltar.
Named after Thomas Erskine Lawyer, who was appointed Lord Chancellor in 1806.
Exchange Flags takes its name from the flagstones that used to cover the Square.
Exchange Street East
One of the original Streets known as Juggler Street, High Street, the exchange was the site of the present Town Hall.
Laid out by Edward Falkner who had intended calling it Wellington Square, it was nicknamed Falkners Folly as it was deemed to be too far out of town.
Was originally known as Crabtree lane, but was renamed Falkner Street after Edward Falkner, who it was said raised a thousand men in under one hour for the defence of the town, when the French threatened to invade.
Named after John Farnworth Mayor of Liverpool 1865.
Was Rosemary Lane, re-named for the family through whose land the new street was laid.
Named after the first wife of Edward Moore, Dorothy Fenwick the daughter of William Fenwick, of Meldon Hall.
Named after the battle of Fontenoy, it is the only street in Liverpool to commemorate a British defeat.
Named after Charles Fox, a Whig, who was Foreign Secretary in the ?Ministry of all Talents?.
Named after Frederick Louis, Duke of Edinburgh, the father of George III
Named after Admiral James Gambier commander of the British fleet at Copenhagen 1807.
Named after Issac Gascoyne, Liverpool MP, Gascoyne defended the slave trade in Parliament.
After Prince George of Denmark, Consort of Queen Anne.
Named after the siege of Gibraltar 1779-83.
Gildart Street/ Gardens
Named after Richard Gildart, Mayor and MP (1734-1754) for Liverpool. Gildart was also a merchant in the slave trade.
Named after the many mosses that surrounded the town
Named after John Gore compiler of Liverpool?s first Directory, and publisher of the newspaper, Gore's Liverpool Advertiser.
Goree was a bare rock off the Cape Verde Islands where slaves were assembled for transport.
Named after Sir John Gower, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
Named after the Whig Premier, the Duke of Grafton.
Named after Edward Grayson a Shipwright of the town who was killed in a duel in 1804.
Great Charlotte Street
Named for the Consort of George II, Charlotte
Great George Square
The statue of George III, was to have been erected here, however insufficient funds were raised, and the sculpture which was finished many years later now stands in Monument Place , London Road.
Great Howard Street
Named after John Howard, builder of the town Gaol.
Great Newton Street
Named after John Newton a former slave Captain who became one of its greatest opponents. Wrote the hymns Amazing Grace and How Sweet the name of Jesus.
Named for the towns whaling industry, whose industry was based close to the street.
Grenville Street South
Originally Leveson Street, changed to Grenville Street after an horrific murder took place there, Lord Grenville was responsible for introducing the bill for the abolition of the slave- trade in 1807.
Named after John Hacking a tenant of Sir Edward Moore.
Named after the Moore residence that once stood on the site, by 1633 it had become known as Old Hall Street.
Named after the reigning family of the time, originally King Street.
Named after John Hardman who owned the Land, he was also involved in the slave trade.
Named after Thomas Masterman Hardy captain of Nelsons flagship at Trafalgar
This was originally called Castle Hey, but was later changed when the land became the property of the Harrington family.
Named after the Village of Hatton, Near Warrington, the home of the Johnson brothers who owned the land.
Named after Admiral Edward Hawke, 1ST Baron Hawke, who sank the French fleet at Quiberon Bay, so ending their plans for invasion. According to Smollett he was the Father of the Navy.
Named after James Heyworth who built the first house in the Street.
Originally Juggler Street, one of the original streets.
Named after a relative of the Moore family Henry Hockenhall who owned property on the site.
Named after George Holt the son-in-law of Mr Durning who owned the land.
Named after Rear Admiral Samuel, Lord Hood, for his services to his country.
Named after William Hope a merchant who built the first house on the site where the Philharmonic now stands.
Named after Admiral William Hotham, 1st Baron Hotham, who saw action with Rodney, Howe and hood
Named after Rowland Hunter a tax collector of the town.
Named after Thomas Hurst a shipwright of the town who was granted land in 1710.
Named after William Huskisson MP for Liverpool, Huskisson was the first person to be killed in a rail accident.
Originally Saint James Street it was changed to James Street in the seventeenth century.
Named after Sir Thomas Johnson, MP for Liverpool for 21 years, a leading figure behind the construction of Liverpool?s first commercial dock (1715), Pioneer of the slave trade who also transported prisoners to the plantations, died in London, penniless.
One of the original Streets named after the Jugglers who assembled and performed there. Changed to High Street in the Eighteenth century.
Named after Richard Kent a merchant of the town, who was the first to build a house on the site.
King Edward Street
Named in honour of Edward VII
The name given to the second Mersey Tunnel.
Named after the brothers John and James Knight who laid out the Street in 1785.
Named after Thomas Lancelot whose property it ran through, a drunken idle is how Edward Moore described him.
Named after the Leather market that stood on the site until it moved to Gill Street in 1833.
Named after William Leece a merchant of the town.
The original terminus of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, was formerly known as Maiden?s Green.
Named after the mother of Sarah Clayton, Elisabeth Leigh.
Named after Charles Lawrence, Mayor, Merchant and Chairman of the Liverpool to Manchester railway.
Originally Lime kilns Lane, named after William Harvey?s Lime Kilns that stood on the site, in 1804 the staff of the of the infirmary that stood on the site of St George?s Hall objected to the fumes from the kilns and after litigation they were re-located. The name changed to Lime Street in 19th century, and was known for the ladies of the night, the most famous of these being Maggie May, immortalised in a popular song of the time.
Named after James Lister a cotton broker of the town.
Named for the Higher Lodge of Toxteth, which it led to.
So named because it was the main road out of Liverpool to London.
Named after Lord Molyneux, was originally called Lord Molyneux Street.
Lord Nelson Street
Named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, Britains greatest naval hero, Nelson was also a champion of the slave trade.
Low means Hill.
Lydia Anne Street
Named after Lydia Anne Perry the wife of George Perry Manager of the Phoenix foundry situated at the end of the Street.
Named after Canon Major Lester, Vicar of Kirkdale, founder of the Major Street Ragged school, whose monument can be found in St Johns Gardens
The construction of Manchester Street gave the coaches of the day travelling to Manchester an easier route to London Road.
Named after Joseph Manesty a merchant of the town.
Previously known as Mersey Island it was later named after John Mann an oilstone merchant.
Was a favoured route of seaman, which led to the Old Dock.
A name requested by the Catholic inhabitants of the area.
Named after Maryland US, as a compliment by J. Hunter a merchant of the town.
Named after Arthur Stanley Mather, Mayor 1915-16
Taken from the names of the two priests who founded St Francis Xaviers, Melling and Woodlock.
So called, as it was exactly one mile from the town hall.
One of the original streets was also known as Whiteacre Street, then Hall Street, and then Old Hall Street.
Mill Street (Liverpool 8)
Was Bedford Street, re-named Mill Street after the windmill, which stood at the junction with Hill Street.
Moor Street (Medieval)
Named after the Moor family, it was later changed to Tithebarn Street, after Lord Molyneux had built a tithe-barn in the Street.
Named after the property owned by the Moor family.
New Bird Street
Named after the slave trader Joseph Bird, who was Mayor in 1746.
North John Street
Was originally St. John Street after the church of St John who owned the Land.
The firm of Earles and Carter produced oil on the site.
Old Hall Street
Named for the old moor residence that once stood on the site.
Named after James Oldham Captain of many slavery ships.
Named after the Hay market that stood on the site until 1841.
Named after the Ropery works that had stood on the site since the seventeenth century.
Was originally Common Moor, named by the Dock engineer Thomas Steers, who had lived in Paradise Street, Rotherhithe, London.
Named after John and Edward Parr slave trade merchants.
Named after the Brewers Pickop and Miles who had premises on the Street.
Was previously known as Jamieson Street, changed to Pilgrim Street, the Pilgrim being a Privateer.
The continuation of Castle Street it ran down to the pool.
Named after Thomas Colley Porter, who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1827, until it was discovered that the election had been rigged.
Named after Alderman Thomas Preeson, C.1660.
Named after the price family who were Lords of the Manor of Birkenhead.
Named after Pudsey Dawson, this was the Second Street to be named after the former Mayor and co-founder of the blind school.
Named after the fact that the original Friend?s meeting House had stood on the Street, the house becoming a school when the Quakers left in 1796.
Named after Queen Anne it was to become the centre of the Welsh immigrant community.
Rainford Gardens and Square
Named after Peter Rainford a Mayor of Liverpool in 1740, he owned a market garden on the land.
Named after the Liverpool Ranalagh Tea Gardens, which had once stood on the site.
Named after the Rathbone family, one of Liverpool?s great families, who initiated cotton imports from the slave plantations.
Named after John and Edward Renshaw who owned a Ropery on the site.
Red Cross Street
Origin of name unknown
Named after Silvester Richmond a doctor and Mayor in 1672, the Richmonds were one of the oldest families in the area
Named after Baron Rodney who won fame and fortune with his celebrated victory over the French and Spanish in 1782, he was also a champion of the slave trade.
It was one of the new residential areas that were springing up around the town, by 1801, it would appear that most of the street had been developed.
The street has been home to a host of eminent people.
No-11 Rodney street was the birthplace of Nicholas Monsarrat (1910-79), the son of distinguished Liverpool surgeon, the author of the novel ?The Cruel Sea?, which detailed his experiences in a corvette during the Second World War.
No-34 was the home of Henry Booth (1789-1869) one of the founders of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and inventor of the railway coupling
No-35 Rodney Street was the first house to built on the street,
c. 1783 on a site leased by William Roscoe.
No-54 Rodney Street was the home Dr. W.H. Duncan (1805-63) Liverpool?s first Medical Officer.
No-59 Rodney Street was the home and studio of E. Chambre Hardman (1898-1988), a photographer of distinction whose commercial work is an important part of British Photographic history.
No-62 was the birthplace of William Ewart Gladstone
(1809-98), one of Liverpool?s greatest sons, who went on to be Prime Minister.
No-74 was the home to Arthur Hugh Clough (1819-61), and his sister Anne Jemima Clough (1820-92); Arthur was a renowned poet, who went on to become principal of the University College London. Anne Clough campaigned to open universities to women, took charge of the first house for women students in Cambridge, which was to become Newnham College, in 1880, she was leading campaigner against poverty
No-80 was the residence for a short time of Lytton Strachey, a member of the Bloomsbury group of Authors and Artists, he taught for a time at Liverpool University. His books include ?Queen Victoria? and ?Eminent Victorians?.
Today Rodney Street is known as Liverpool?s Harley Street.
Doctor Ambrose Dawson was the first Doctor to have premises on the street as early as 1790.
Dr Matthew Dobson, was a physician to the Liverpool infirmary, his work on Diabetes is recognised as one of the three steps that eventually led to it?s control.
Dr James Currie was the first biographer of Robert Burns.
Named after William Roe a Liverpool merchant.
Named after Wiliam Roscoe, merchant, abolitionist, and Philanthropist, one of Liverpool?s greatest sons.
St Anne street
St James Street
Said to be derived from St James Church Toxteth.
St John Street
Now North John Street.
Named after the Bluecoat charity school founded by Bryan Blundell, which still stands on the site, the building is now the oldest in the city.
Named after Sir Thomas Seel, a Liverpool merchant who owned the land on which the Street was laid out, he was also involved in the slave trade.
Sir Thomas Street
Named after Sir Thomas Johnson, MP for Liverpool for 21 years, a leading figure behind the construction of Liverpool?s first commercial dock (1715), Pioneer of the slave trade, who also transported prisoners to the plantations, died in London, penniless.
Named after Gill Slater captain of the Liverpool volunteers, c.1766
South John Street
Was originally known as Traffords Wient after Henry Trafford who was Mayor in 1740, formerly part of John Street.
Named after John Sparling former Mayor (1790) began construction of the Queens dock at his own expense before selling it to the corporation.
Was New Street, laid out in 1740, before that it was a strip of sand between high and low water.
Was Elbow Lane, named after Alderman Sweeting who was Mayor in 1698.
Named after Tabley in Cheshire the home of Mayor William Pownall, 1767.
Named after Thomas Lurting whose land the Street was laid out.
Named after the Tithe Barn erected by Lord Molnneux.
Named to commemorate the union of Scotland and England in 1717.
Named after a Dutch man who ran the Vandries Hotel, situated on the North Shore, it was the site of sea bathing during the Regency period.
Named after the US State where the tobacco plantations were situated.
Originally named Bank Street one of the original medieval streets, changed to Water Street around 1540.
Another of the original streets from the thirteenth century, became Hall Street and then Old Hall Street.
William Brown Street
Was previously called Shaw?s Brow, later named after William Brown a wealthy Liverpool merchant, who paid for the construction of the Library and Museum.
Named after the Wolstenholme family who owned the land on which the square was laid out.