From the St Anne's War Memorial, Stanley


Australian Mining and Boring Company.

Uploaded with
John's Medals

The Service records are available for John. He enlisted in Southern Australia on 19th August 1914, Giving his age as 38 years, and his trade as a Mason, serving his apprenticeship at Halliday and sons in Stanton, Lancashire for 7 years. He is 5 feet 3 1/2 inches tall, weighs 10 stone 7 pounds with a chest measurement of 36 1/2 inches. His complexion is Freash, hair Fair, and eyes Blue. John's place of birth is listed as Yeovil, Somerset, England.

John's wife is listed as Maud Hambridge of 87 Herrick Street, Stanley, Liverpool. Later changed to 19 Ashton Street, Old Swan, Liverpool. A later address list her living at 82 Sandstone Road, Liverpool, with their son Leonard.

John joins as a 1st reinforcement to the 1st Australian Depot of supply, 11th A.S.C. His rank is a private. He trains with his unit and travels with them to France. On 26th September 1915 he is admitted to the hospital ship " Gascon " with Dysentry. He is then transfered to ANZAC ( Australian and New Zealand Army Corps ) John then sails to Gibraltar where he is admitted to the General hospital. After 3 weeks he sails aboard the " S.S Ballarat " to England. He is admitted sick to the 2nd Southern General hospital at Bristol on 31st October 1915, where he stays until returning to duty at Weymouth on 29 December 1915.

On 15th January 1916 John sails aboard " H.T Oniana " ariiving in Alexandria, Egypt. He joins the 1st Pionerr Battalion at Tel-El-Kebir, Egypt ( training centre for the Australian Forces ) John is then returned back to the 1st Australian Depot of supply
at Serapeum, Egypt on 20th March 1916. On 26th March 1916 he sails aboard " S.S Ballarat " from Alexandia, Egypt, arriving in Marseilles, France on 2nd April 1916. John is transfered to the Australian Mining Corps, Supernumerary to establishment Number 2 Company on 3rd July 1916. The same day he joins the 2nd Tunnelling Coy, Australian Mining Corps and is promoted to Corporal. Sadly John is killed in action on 14th August 1916.