Thread: Liverpool's First Railway Station 1830

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

Default Liverpool's First Railway Station 1830

why is there no photos at all of this station?? it never closed till the 1970s as it was used for a goods yard it was the worlds firsts passanger station someone out there must have photos of the site before it was filled in the only photos i can find are cartoon ones i dont want them i am looking for a real photo please help

also anyone got photos of liverpool central inside and underground before merseyrail took over in the 70s?

or any of kirkdale staion?

There are a few photos/images of Crown Street. Google image search yielded this one...

All the stations were owned by British Rail until privatisation. In the 1970s though the underground station was built and so the high level bit became redundant. The definitive web page for information on it can be found here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    There are a few photos/images of Crown Street. Google image search yielded this one...

All the stations were owned by British Rail until privatisation. In the 1970s though the underground station was built and so the high level bit became redundant. The definitive web page for information on it can be found here.

Thanks Snappel. The first print is entitled 'Railway Office, Liverpool.' It shows carriages; passengers and luggage; horse drawn bus/coach.

I've never seen the second one before, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    why is there no photos at all of this station?? it never closed till the 1970s as it was used for a goods yard it was the worlds firsts passanger station someone out there must have photos of the site before it was filled in the only photos i can find are cartoon ones i dont want them i am looking for a real photo please help

also anyone got photos of liverpool central inside and underground before merseyrail took over in the 70s?

or any of kirkdale staion?
    The station did close down shortly after it was commissioned when Lime St was brought on line. As far as I am aware it was demolished and made all goods (coal). Even though the site was used for rail the station was no more and no trace existed (is that the case?)
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Not 100% sure but I seem to remember learning that one of the gateposts from the entrance to the station still exists to this day. It became part of the entrance to a scap metal yard. Correct me if I'm wrong :smile:

Cadfael

I take it we are all talking about Crown Street Station here just to clarify?

As for pictures, I have pictures of the station and surrounding area's but I am not allowed to show them. Pearsons, the book that is coming out based on the american trucks/tanks and coachbuilding, the people behind the book has commissioned me to do a website on the photo's that they have supplied. I have about 200 glass plate images around the Edge Hill area and showing around Overbury Street (next to the station), but contract copyright doesn't allow me to show them at present. However I am working on a website on the history of Edge Hill at the moment and in it I am showing various other Crown Street information plus high res images of the /14 tunnels to Liverpool showing the change from the tunnel system from Edge Hill/Lime street in to the cutting we now know.