Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victoria Square Dwellings. (Nash Grove) liverpool

Default Victoria Square Dwellings. (Nash Grove) liverpool

Hi,

I 've just found this ace forum while trying to locate images of the Victoria Square Dwellings. (Nash Grove) liverpool. My mam ( S Gallagher) lived there from 1926 before moving to (new) Gerrad Gardens when built in the 1930's.
    I'd be so grateful if anyone of you good people could help.

PhilipG

Here's a sketch.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US

This is from the same source:
    THE VICTORIA SQUARE APARTMENT HOUSE, LIVERPOOL, ENG.

Realizing that little could be hoped for from individuals or their offspring, who were condemned to a life in vile dens, where the squalor and wretchedness was only equalled by the poisonous, disease-breeding atmosphere and the general filth which characterized the tenement districts, the trustees Mr. Peabody selected to carry forward his work, engaged in the erection of a large building accommodating over two hundred, at a cost of $136,500. This apartment house, which is substantially uniform with the seventeen additional buildings since constructed from the Peabody fund, is five stories high, built around a hollow square, thus giving plenty of fresh air and sunshine to the rear as well as the front of the entire building. The square affords a large playground for the children where they are in no danger of being run over by vehicles, and where they are under the immediate eye of many of the parents. The building is divided into tenements of one, two, and three room apartments, according to the requirements of the occupant. There are also nine stores on the ground floor, which bring a rental of something over $1,500 a year for each of the buildings. By careful, honest, and conscientious business management, the original sum of $2,500,000 has been almost doubled, while comfortable, healthful homes have been procured for an army of over 20,000 persons. Some of the apartments contain four rooms, many three, some two, others one. The average rent is about $1.15 for an apartment. The average price for three-room apartments in the wretched tenements of London, is from $1.45 a week. In the Peabody dwellings, the death rate is .96 per one thousand below the average in London. Thus it will be seen that while large, healthful, airy, and cheerful homes have been provided for over 20,000 at a lower figure than the wretched disease-fostering and crime-breeding tenements of soulless Shylocks, the Peabody fund has, since 1862, grown to nearly $5,000,000, or almost twice the sum given for the work by the great philanthropist. No words can adequately describe the magnitude of this splendid work, any more than we can measure the good it has accomplished, the crime prevented, or the lives that through it have grown to ornament and bless society. In the Liverpool experiment, the work has been prosecuted by the municipal government. In the Peabody dwellings, it has, of course, been the work of an individual, carried on by a board of high-minded, honorable, and philanthropic gentlemen. To my mind, it seems far more practicable for philanthropic, monied men to prosecute this work as a business investment, specifying in their wills that rents shall not rise above a figure necessary to insure a fair interest on the money, 54rather than leave it for city governments, as in the latter case it would be in great danger of becoming an additional stronghold for unscrupulous city officials to use for political purposes. I know of no field where men with millions can so bless the race as by following Mr. Peabody’s example in our great cities. If, instead of willing every year princely sums to old, rich, and conservative educational institutions, which already possess far more money than they require,—wealthy persons would bequeath sums for the erection of buildings after the manner of the Victoria Square or the Peabody Dwellings, a wonderful transformation would soon appear in our cities. Crime would diminish, life would rise to a higher level, and from the hearts and brains of tens of thousands, a great and terrible load would be lifted. Yet noble and praiseworthy as is this work, we must not lose sight of the fact, that at best it is only a palliative measure: a grand, noble, beneficent work which challenges our admiration, and should receive our cordial support; still it is only a palliative.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Angus.

Not sure if you're related but knew Gallaghers in the Gardens in the 1970s, particulalry Mick, who went to our school - St. Joey's.

Try these.

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server...=SearchResults

http://www.scottiepress.org/main.htm

(Type Victoria Square after clicking on the search facility

Also

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/pastli...lats/flats.htm

and for Gerard Gardens.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Another showing the interiors too. (sorry, missed off above)

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/pastli...lats/flats.htm

Default wow, thanks Ged & Philip G !!!

Thanks so much Ged and Philip G. You would'nt believe I've been searching for months trying to find the information that you fellas have let me have in a few minutes. I'm just printing them off now to show me mam.
    Ged, me ma and her family moved out of Gerrard gardens in the 1950's when they were relocated to Kirkby, so although it's possible I may be related to your freind it's unlikely. Me mam's in her mid 80's now and had asked me if I could find her any pictures of Victoria Sq, so I'm really so grateful. Thanks again....you guys prove that scousers rule OK !!

Our pleasure Angus, the info was at our fingertips having been discussed here before.

Hi Philip

George Peabody (1795-1869), who provided the funding for Victoria Square Dwellings in Liverpool as well as Peabody Buildings in London's East End, was an American-born philanthropist who got his start as a dry goods merchant here in Baltimore. Below is his statue near the Peabody Library in Mount Vernon, Baltimore. The library by the way has cast iron floors above an open area much like Liverpool's late lamented Sailor's Home. Peabody received an elaborate funeral in Westminster Abbey but is not buried there. With the approval of the Queen, Peabody was given a temporary burial in the Abbey but as per his will he is buried in the town where he grew up, Danvers, Massachusetts, which was renamed Peabody in his honor.

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Great stuff CG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Great stuff CG.
    Thanks, Ged. You can compare the photo of the inside of the Peabody Library in Baltimore below to the galleries at the Sailor's Home. See http://www.bwpics.co.uk/gallery/sailorshome.html

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peabody_Institute_Library
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Very elaborate - could be a posh persons prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Very elaborate - could be a posh persons prison.
    Ha ha, that's very true, there were a lot of the old prisons built with such galleries as well. A good observation, Ged.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Ha ha, that's very true, there were a lot of the old prisons built with such galleries as well. A good observation, Ged.

Chris
    ICI's old Millbank, London 1930s headquarters building had a similar balcony/atrium design too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Philip

George Peabody (1795-1869), who provided the funding for Victoria Square Dwellings in Liverpool as well as Peabody Buildings in London's East End, was an American-born philanthropist who got his start as a dry goods merchant here in Baltimore. ]
    I once lived in a West End of London Peabody Building just off St Martin's Lane. The interesting thing was that the tenants were responsible for the internal cleanliness of the building. So the tenants of each flat had to wash down, scrub etc the communal areas on their floor and stairs leading to them on a weekly rota basis.

I wonder if this ever happened in the Victoria Square buildings?

Don't know about that but even in the 1930s corpy tennies, each tenant was either responsible, or at least took it upon themselves to look after the bit of landing immediately outside their doorsteps which took in the width of the house, even to the point of painting a neat white line along the landing at the base of the house carefully going around downspouts, drainpipes, gutters, grids etc.

Should there be a wedding, priest cavalcade to celebrate an anniversary or visiting dignitary or such this would be extended to the stone staircases too which werew usually well kept anyway by the end house where possible.

PhilipG

[QUOTE=ChrisGeorge;64504]Hi Philip

George Peabody (1795-1869), who provided the funding for Victoria Square Dwellings in Liverpool as well as Peabody Buildings in London's East End, was an American-born philanthropist who got his start as a dry goods merchant here in Baltimore. Below is his statue near the Peabody Library in Mount Vernon, Baltimore. The library by the way has cast iron floors above an open area much like Liverpool's late lamented Sailor's Home. Peabody received an elaborate funeral in Westminster Abbey but is not buried there. With the approval of the Queen, Peabody was given a temporary burial in the Abbey but as per his will he is buried in the town where he grew up, Danvers, Massachusetts, which was renamed Peabody in his honor.

Chris

Chris.
    Peabody had nothing to do with Victoria Square in Liverpool.
    The article I quoted says that Liverpool Corporation took the idea from Peabody.
    Victoria Square (1891, I think) was only the second municipal dwellings in Liverpool, following St Martins Cottages way back in the 1860s (The first Municipal dwellings in the country).

Here's part of the article I quoted above:
    "In the Liverpool experiment, the work has been prosecuted by the municipal government. In the Peabody dwellings, it has, of course, been the work of an individual, carried on by a board of high-minded, honorable, and philanthropic gentlemen."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast