Thread: Gloria Grahame-Hollywood film actress (1923-81)

Default Gloria Grahame-Hollywood film actress (1923-81)

Sorry folks if this is on the inappropriate forum, but it's difficult to know where to post it!

Many years ago I read the book 'Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool'. This book is now almost impossible to obtain, although my library is trying.

Has anyone first hand details of the weeks leading to the collapse of Hollywood actress, Gloria Grahame, with peritonitis, prior to her being flown to New York where she subsequently died. I would like to hear from anyone who actually met her in LIverpool, and details of any addresses she lived at.

Although I understand she was appearing in a play, I have a feeling she actually lived in Liverpool, possibly in some squalour, or is this a figment of my imagination?
    Last edited by Granger; 06-19-2007 at 02:42 PM.

PhilipG

Welcome "Stewart".

A Google reveals quite a lot of hits:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22fi...e=utf8&oe=utf8

I read the book years ago, and seem to remember it was the Sefton Park area.

PhilipG: Thanks, but I had already done the Google exercise, and found little detail, most of which is conflicting. ie. Was her death due to perotinitis or breast cancer?

I have just finished reading this book. I felt that she was suffering from stomach cancer although as she refused to go into hospital in the UK this was not formally diagnosed. I am happy to lend you my copy if you would PM me your details.

munchkim

Quote Originally Posted by munchkim View Post
    I have just finished reading this book. I felt that she was suffering from stomach cancer although as she refused to go into hospital in the UK this was not formally diagnosed. I am happy to lend you my copy if you would PM me your details.

munchkim
    Hi Munchkim

Thank you very much. Expect a PM.

'Granger'

I have the paperback version of that. The ISBN is 0140103678 and a quick google search of that number gives a few places that has it. It is set in and around Lark Lane

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...873161-8147022

PhilipG

If it's interested anyone enough to want to read it, it's in Liverpool's Central Library.
    Here it is, with its reference number.
    If you don't live in Liverpool, your local library will be able to get it through an 'inter-library loan'.