Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: World War II air raid shelters and defenses in the Liverpool area

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The shelters at Dovedale School have been demolished...as I found out, when I went to photograph them recently.
    Google Streetview:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,358.29,,1,5
    Duncombe Road school (Auigburth/Garston area) had bomb shelters on the Duncombe Rd. side into the 70's - but they are gone now. Simple brick square buildings with a concrete roof and a open, but "zig-zag" entrance, IIRC.

We still had them in Varley Road up until a few years ago !, our next door neighbour used his as a shed, whilst my dear old Dad spent ages demolishing ours !

Excuse my ignorance but the point of the Dragons Teeth was ?

Don't know about those ones but those on Crosby Beach were to prevent landing crafts/tanks etc.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Dragons teeth. I remember a newspaper photo, taken during the so-called Phony War of 1939-40, of a Dutch sentry standing on guard behind a line of dragons teeth anti-tank barriers. The caption said that should the anti-tank barrier fail to stop any invading German force then the Dutch would open their dykes and make the ground impassible for tanks and such. The Germans, being serious minded about war, simply flew into Rotterdam's Waalhaven in float planes.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Could it be a Cold War "fear of nuclear bombs" shelter, and not a WWII one?
    Possibly but the house is around 1930's so would of thought it to be ww11. Going to take some pics after waters pumped out.

exacta2a's Dragons Teeth photo at Crosby featured in the Liverpool Echo (8/4/11)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...ol-816926@N21/.
    There are also a few along the Cheshire Lines cycle path, East of the Formby by-pass, near a couple of bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    exacta2a's Dragons Teeth photo at Crosby featured in the Liverpool Echo (8/4/11)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...ol-816926@N21/.
    There are also a few along the Cheshire Lines cycle path, East of the Formby by-pass, near a couple of bridges.
    The wife wasn`t happy, she said "You always called me your page 3 girl, what am I doing on page 20"
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by davegore2005 View Post
    Here is one for the history buffs among us, my family and myself were walking on the path from the coastguard station out towards Hightown and Formby today and I mentioned to my wife that there used to be what I imagine to be old air raid shelters dug into the sand dunes somewhere along there, I remember climbing down into them when when I was many years younger.

We walked as far as the waste water treatment pumping plant but for the life of me i could not place where the shelters were, or even how far they are from the coastguard station...any help to jog my memory would be gladly appreciated

Dave
    I was born in Crosby in 1949. There was a big shore battery at Fort Crosby. probably about three hundred yards further towards Hightown than the Water treatment building which is nearby today. In the 1950s there was a ring fence surrounding the camp and I remember there was a watchman or security guard who used to chase the boys away.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Could it be a Cold War "fear of nuclear bombs" shelter, and not a WWII one?

This WW2 air raid shelter matches quite well to your description Is it anything like this one?
    http://www.adalhs.mooncarrot.org.uk/...%20Shelter.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Boy View Post
    I was born in Crosby in 1949. There was a big shore battery at Fort Crosby. probably about three hundred yards further towards Hightown than the Water treatment building which is nearby today. In the 1950s there was a ring fence surrounding the camp and I remember there was a watchman or security guard who used to chase the boys away.
    I remember the day that they attempted to blow up and demolish the massive concrete casemates of the shore battery. My dad and I had cycled down through Little Crosby and there is or was a crossing point across the railway line. There was a Police officer standing by the railway as a cordon to prevent people straying into the are around the demolition area. at the appointed time there was a loud bang and a cloud of dust. But when the dust had settled, the gun emplacements were still standing. They had not used enough explosives. They had to come back a week or two later to have another try. That would have been about 1960 at a guess.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567