Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World War II air raid shelters and defenses in the Liverpool area

Smile Dragons Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Excellent pics and information, snappel. Thanks!

All the best

Chris
    Hi Chris if they are the ones by Hilfoot road Bridge. I went to look for them a few months ago and couldn't find them. I never give up until I've been back in the Winter. You can see much more when the vegetation dies back. So I will be going back, perhaps with a few more pillboxes to look for with the kind help of people from this forum!

Better go look busy

Derek

I know I've got a picture of one of the Garston ones (I'll look for it). I've seen a pic of the other somewhere on this web-site, if anyone can remember which thread it is in.
    Re: Park Nook, I was last down that tunnel about '73. A strange tunnel, just there, for no reason.

Cadfael

There's also a Pill Box on Springwood Ave that's still there to this day.

I've been in the Wavertree shelters - they've been documented by the Liverpool Echo too.

Default Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    It's the Royal Insurance Building
    I'm happy for photos to be used on other peoples' websites free of charge - all I ask is that they retain my small watermark so that people know where they came from.

http://www.williamsontunnels.com/articles/martineau.htm
    Thanks so much.

I will of course incliude the water mark and the a credit in the pop up window (what an accolade hey)? Is it the royal Insurance Building Liverpool? Near the Pier Head?

Thanks

Derek

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    PhilipG - are these the ones you meant? I went to photograph them back in 2004, but builders were already on site. All gone now.

http://www.williamsontunnels.com/articles/martineau.htm
    That's it.
    Thanks for the photo.
    All the times I took the dog to that park, and I never took any photos!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy_b View Post

I know of a Pillbox at Garston docks right by the shore line. I don't know of the other one, so if you could tell me where that is? that would be great!

Is this what u mean?

RE: The other one, I remember playing in it when I was young. I went back to look for it last year without success.

I found this one, now demolished, on the old Liverpool, airport site.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

^ That's the one I was thinking of. I hope it is one and not just a brick shed.
    March 2004

There is only one good viewpoint for the Cressington Esplanade one...unless you jump onto the beach. I see the railing has been painted.
    Last edited by marky; 12-08-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Smile Pillboxes

Yep that's the red brick one I was thinking of at Garston Docks. I'd like to go and have a look at it myself. It seems to be a type 22. They're a regular hexagon shape. If you are interested in pillboxes check out the link to the British Archaeological Survey, and of course there are others on my site. Unfortunately haven't covered Liverpool much yet. Also the wirral is littered with the things, I'm planning a few trips in the new year to try and record a few over there. It's a real shame about that other pillbox now demolished unfortunately we're loosing them all the time. There were a pair of pillboxes given away to a museum in Millom Cumbria again from the old Speke air field development.

Thanks for your help, and can I appeal again to anyone who has information on Pillboxes or any WW2 Structures, could they let me know? I try and update the website www.worldwar2defences.co.uk every month so check for updates if you're interested.

Derek

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That's it.
    Thanks for the photo.
    All the times I took the dog to that park, and I never took any photos!
    Managed to get in those - it really was a 40ft long tunnel with lovely brickwork inside and certainly looked like it went much further.
    Didn't take any pictures but it's a shame that they've gone now - there used to be large sandstone blocks scattered about the place too.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Managed to get in those - it really was a 40ft long tunnel with lovely brickwork inside and certainly looked like it went much further.
    Didn't take any pictures but it's a shame that they've gone now - there used to be large sandstone blocks scattered about the place too.
    I didn't know they went that far, but doesn't 40 feet still indicate an air-raid shelter?
    It was also said that it was the cellars of the house called Park Nook which were used as air-raid shelters.
    Park Nook was the only building ever on the site, which is part of the original Toxteth Park.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I didn't know they went that far, but doesn't 40 feet still indicate an air-raid shelter?
    It was also said that it was the cellars of the house called Park Nook which were used as air-raid shelters.
    Park Nook was the only building ever on the site, which is part of the original Toxteth Park.
    They may well have been used for air raid shelters at some point - although access to them was via crawling on your stomach to get in to them a few years ago.

But when FOWT visited them and did some background work, it was realised that they were built along with the house for James Martineau for his children to play in. There were various blocked off archways underground which indicated a much larger area rather than just the one tunnel system which was actually quite narrow. I only wish I had taken more pictures back then but while I think they may have been fairly extensive, they were nothing like the elaborate Williamson's Tunnels.

They themselves were looked at by the City Council to see if they were suitable for air raid shelters but decided against them.

The picture below shows chaps from LCC exploring the tunnels to see if they were of use during the war:

Source - LCC

PhilipG

Thanks, Brother Cad.
    That all sounds logical.
    There is an early painting of Princes Park taken from Martineau's, but I never did find out exactly where Martineau's was.

Springwood Avenue, March 2004.

Blog Entries

Thanks Marky, any idea why this was built so far inland rather than down by the river? Or was that quite common?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston Air Raid Shelter

The basement of the old Co-op stores in St Mary's Rd, Garston was converted into an air raid shelter. It's still there. The building now houses the Ethel Austin Women's and Children's store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast