Thread: Off Upper Parliament Street, 1975

Blog Entries

Default Off Upper Parliament Street, 1975

This is the third of Paul Trevor’s photographs I am trying to locate. Looking at the second frame, taken at the same time, it is clear that the cleared site is near to Princes Road with the spire of the Welsh Presbyterian prominent in the background but can anyone pinpoint the road running behind the [...]

More...

Blog Entries

On a personal note.
    It is a bit of a wake-up call and heartening really (I suppose). That history was in the making and being recorded 'way back' in the 1970's. These shots and your earlier ones of the Chinese takeaway, also of the 70's, strike me, kinda where it hurts, in that I was but 21 when these pictures were taken...little did I know... and that's a fact.

You will have to wait a little longer for a real response to your questions Colin and in the absence of Dazza (odd that!) others will no doubt fill his shoes.

More great pic's Colin! The archaic term "street urchins" seems appropriate,as you dont seem to see kids getting in that state,these days!Can't help with the road name though!

I think it may be Kingsley Road. Great Photo Colin..................yet again.

My first thought was Selborne st - but I think it could be Mulgrave.

Its hard to tell with angle shot?

ButI'd go for Gibson St or Carter St.

Selbourne Street is the other side of Princess Road,Lindy. more or less facing the backof the church.

Yes, looking from that direction it could be Carter st, and a lot of new houses were built there - Arnold Close, Thackery st etc.

It's shocking seeing how parts of Liverpool looked quite recently before I was born and always reminds me of a post war setting.

This is an answer put up by John Jay on Colin's page just in case anyone doesn't get to see it.

Answer to your request:
    (1) Pomfret Street, “awaiting redevelopment,” lies immediately behind (and off to the left of) the two scampering boys.
    (2) Warwick Street is directly behind the photographer.
    (3) Princes Boulevard lies off to the right – behind just one more acutely angled intervening row of dilapidated buildings.
    Little did we know that the architectural quality of this whole area was about to be vandalized still more, and forever, by corporate edict. Certainly, those kids could hardly have exceeded the visual crime awaiting this once majestic urban area – with the insertion of a low-rise sea of mediocre brickwork over the intervening 36 years.
    A sad but valuable photographic record of Liverpool’s brutally obliterated past.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

WellI wasn't that far away with Gibson St,although I'mstill scepticle as towhether it is Pomfret St as the church would be onthe immediate right looking at it fromthe pic,unless the boys are onthe junction ofPomfret and Arnold St?

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Thisis carter and gibson street....in the b7w pic the two roads running parralle to eachother are forking and the only two roads near that area that came to a fork where Carter and Gibson.

There...

That first photo..............I'm not so sure about Pomfret Street being just behind the boys. I work in Upper Hill Street, and this morning I had a look at where the church was in relation to that picture. It is really near with Carter and Pomfret Streets standing just in front of it, whereas in the picture it looks about half a mile away. We can't tell from the picture as to what aspect it is but on the way home I was trying to look at where the picture could have been taken. I suspect that the picture was taken from somewhere between Mulgrave and Granby Streets. What do others think?