Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wavertree Shop.

Default Wavertree Shop.

Would anyone have a picture of Wavertree Road in Paticular it was of a Shoe Repair Shop name of Trowlers i am told it was next to a chinese laundry would have been in the 60,s 70,s

Thanks Caterina..

Default 61 Wavertree Road

Sorry I can;t help you Caterina, but like you I'm looking for information about a specific Wavertree Road address which I hope someone might be able to help with.

Specifically I'm interested in 61 Wavertree Road since that is where my grandmother was a servant when my father was born.

Does anyone know:

(a) Would the existing buildings at this address (61 Wavertree Road) have been there in the ealry 30s -- or have they been built since (perhaps after the war).

(b) Could anyone with access to a street directory for 1929-1390 tell me who are listed as occupants at 61 Wavertree Road?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by imd6662 View Post
    Sorry I can;t help you Caterina, but like you I'm looking for information about a specific Wavertree Road address which I hope someone might be able to help with.

Specifically I'm interested in 61 Wavertree Road since that is where my grandmother was a servant when my father was born.

Does anyone know:

(a) Would the existing buildings at this address (61 Wavertree Road) have been there in the ealry 30s -- or have they been built since (perhaps after the war).

(b) Could anyone with access to a street directory for 1929-1390 tell me who are listed as occupants at 61 Wavertree Road?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

1936 street directory.
    61 Wavertree Road.
    Henry I Bennett, draper.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-13-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Some of the shops (facing the Police Station) are old as there is a date-stone on one of 1881.

Thanks very much Philip and marky!

Most of the odd numbered shops still exist between the town end and Durning Road. Much of the area is due for demoltion, though. Here's an example of the yellow-brick shops between Dorothy Street and Thorburn Street. My impression is that the shops around here are the original buildings. I'll have a look for No.61 sometime.
    Caergwrle Buildings 1881.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25632502@N00/546675943/
    Last edited by marky; 06-14-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Default Re Shoe Shop.

Is there any way i can find out the number of Trowlers on Wavertree Road please in the 60,s to 70,s

Caterina..

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Is there any way i can find out the number of Trowlers on Wavertree Road please in the 60,s to 70,s

Caterina..
    Yes, street directories will tell you.
    A couple of people on this forum have them from the 1960s, and may confirm that it was the same asddress as below.
    I've got one for 1936 and I think I've found it in there.
    35 Wavertree Road. Thomas Chilvers, fried fish dealer. (A chippy!)
    37 Wavertree Road. Nathaniel Trowler & Son, boot repairers.

37 was (is?) next door but one to Cicely Street.

61 was (is?) next door but one to Janet Street.

chippie

Caterina, I can only see the one that Phil has already pointed out to you in the 1960 and 1968 editions, and that,s at number 37.

Default Re Trowlers

Chippie and Phillip G thanks so much the members on this site are so good..

Caterina..

Default 205 Wavertree Road

I am sorry for jumping on this thread but can anyone give me an idea where 205 Wavertree Road may have been located in 1908 please.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by xkopite View Post
    I am sorry for jumping on this thread but can anyone give me an idea where 205 Wavertree Road may have been located in 1908 please.
    In 1936 it was next door but one to Eastwood Street.
    It would probably have been the same number in 1908.
    Probably somebody with an earlier directory can confirm this, but if not, I can say that I don't think any Liverpool streets were renumbered in the 20th century.

Many thanks PhilipG
    Will have to see if there is a photo of this block of housing.

Marky -- thanks again for the further information and the photo of the block lower down.

I'm sure you;re right that these are the original buildings all the way along (judging from Google's aerial photos which show all the blocks looking pretty similar). Thanks too for the alert that they may be demolished in the near future -- if you find 61, grab a photo for me and my friend, posterity.

I guess these must have been pretty much the same in the thirties: realtively modest houses (perhaps not so by the standard of the times), and presumably commercial premises on the ground floor and the family's own living on the floors above. Muyst have been prosperous enough for servants too!

Thanks

Ian

Are No.s 37 and 61 North or South of the junctions (Cicely Street and Janet Street), as I remember most of the buildings don't have any numbers on them, nowadays. I'll photograph both sides of each junction just to be sure of getting the right buildings.
    My information about future demolitions came from a report in the Liverpool Echo a few months ago...someone was attempting to buy up certain named properties and then demolish them. It did mention which organisation it was, but I never kept the details. Several of the buildings are already empty.
    A 'Google' search currently lists No.37 as 'Wavertree News'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast