Thread: Lowther Street? 1975

Blog Entries

Default Lowther Street? 1975

In 1975, Paul Trevor came to Liverpool as a member of the Exit Photography Group who were documenting the state of Britain’s inner cities. Their fascinating record was published in a book Survival Programmes and the photographs were a stark reminder of the desperate deprivation that still blighted most of Britain’s cities.Now, over 35 years [...]

More...

It is Lowther street,Colin.

If you google street view,you will seethe same house on the right is still standing at the end of lowther street,the left was all demolished and new buildings thrown up.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

although there is no doorway on your pic of the house to the right,streetview shows one but having had a look at the doorway it looks as though it was put in after that pic of yours,but the windows are the same layout.

Look forward to seeing the rest,Colin!

I'm not sure this is Lowther Street. If it was, the street leading away from us in the background would let us see the large houses on Bedford Street South, which it doesn't.

I used to walk this way to school all the time during the 70's and 80's and where the garages are at the end of the street on the left, you should see the rear Falkner Terrace, as in the snap below. You can see down Lowther Street on the left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5471553...n/photostream/

How do GF,Lowther street is behind that white building and unning parralel with it.

Hang on I'll get a street viw of it.

Here ya go,sandon street is the street off lowther in the background....

Hi GeorgiePorgie

Yes, but how do you explain the absence of Falkner terrace in Colin's pictures? The second picture clearly shows a two strory garage type building, when Falkner Terrace is clearly three storeys? I'm not 100% sure it is?

Falkner Terrace had a face lift in the 80's? or ealier and the back was completely renovated,the stucco on the front was completly overhauled.

Ah, I see. OK.

I'm looking forward to the exhibition. I might actually see myself on there.

Good thread Colin. I directed Paul to 3 of the ex residents of the four squares area he was looking for as part of the 'inside out' documentary that was aired last year. Here are the rest of Paul's photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpool1975/
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Where the ruddy hellis Dazza,he's the one with all de maps.

It looks like Lowther Street to me as I remember it from when I was around 10, which is a couple of years before the pictures were taken. Egerton Street, virtually opposite looks derilict, which is wasn't when I was a kid. The houses on the left side of Lowther Street now have front entrances (on Upper Parli), but the entrances used to be in Lowther Street. I had friends who lived in the houses, hence the reason I remember this.

Also on Lowther Street on the right hand side there used to be three (or maybe 4?) houses (3 storey) which are not on the picture. The houses were just after that double garage. Again I had friends who lived in the houses. That picture has stirred many forgotten memories!

I've just found out that the girl on the rope..............is one of our parents, Kate. She still lives in the area. I know that the photos were recently in the Echo and Kate showed me and I can confirm it's her. Whether or not she contacts the photographer is up to her, but I hope she does.

That's great news. What was her reaction? Did she remember having her picture taken?

Yes she does remember having the picture taken - she reckons she was about 7/8.