Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torr Street, Everton (inc. Rock View)

Do the LRO photos of the flats being built contain any evidence of the original tenement housing...?

No, there's just a small number of photos of the bricklayers actually building the flats as mentioned earlier - this after the terraced streets have succumbed.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged,

Cheers for that. I presume the streets themselves wouldn't have been much different from the others 'round that area. I have one of Robsart Street (where my Grandmother was born) which serves the purpose of the tenement housing very well I think...

I have one of Robsart Street
    Scan it and upload it here and then we could yay or nay it as to the same housing conditions...probably is though?

Robsart St No.9 Court in 1959 - you know where

I was the first with the file out although it'd been available for over a year so it's likely the only place you'll see this photo.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Here is a pic of Robsart Street, courtesy of Liverpool Record Office.

Cheers,
    Allen

The Big One....

Would this have been taken from the top of St Georges Heights?

Forget that,seems it would not have been as its not far enough along Heywoth street for the shot.

Hmmm! what high vantage point would have given this shot? prolly a Telephoto lens used?

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Wouldthis have been taken fromthe top of St Georges Heights?

Only if they have moved half a mile nearly south and shot up half a mile...!

that photo was taken from an aeroplane.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

that photo was taken from an aeroplane.
    If thats the case then there should be other pics of this ilk because the clearence didn't just span to this area of Everton.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    If thats the case then there should be other pics of this ilk because the clearence didn't just span to this area of Everton.

I would imagine so, probably quite a lot...
    I cant see them going up in a plane to take one photo..

Photo shows...
    Crosbie, Canterbury and Haigh heights on William Henry Street.
    ...each was 15 storey and 41 metres high..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Ah, I didn't know said photo actually had a court number given! My Nan was at Number 13. I wonder what 'name' Number 9 had? Number 13 was the salubrious "Cambridge Terrace"!

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

That's a beautiful aerial photo. When's that from? I see the clearances are well, well underway!

I can see the watertower, but can't see any other landmarks with which I'm familiar (although I wouldn't say I know Everton at all well, really!) - anyone care to point to Netherfield or Domingo's or a church or two...?

Stephen

Not many pics were taken aound this area befoe the slum clearence? asI used to live 3 streets away ie off York Terrace/Albion Street.

Here's a Map of the area.....

St Domingo is not in this shot,the circle starts at Brougham Terrace ie west derby road....the 3 high rise flats in the mid distance are Sheil Road Heights....following the dark line I have put this is Everton Road.

Netherfield Road is the road immidiatly in front of the tower blocks at the bottom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast