Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanlaw Grange circa 1292

Default Stanlaw Grange circa 1292

Hi All

The existing structure of Stanlawe Grange on the north side of Aigburth Hall Avenue close to Aigburth Road was originally a medieval cruck (oak beam) and sandstone farm building that was converted in the 1970's to residential use. It is the oldest existing structure in the city of Liverpool. The building was in existence at least as far back as 1292, it seems, according to a record in the Coucher Book of Whalley Abbey compiled in that year. The remaining building was part of a complex of monastic farm buildings under the supervision of Stanlaw Abbey near present-day Ellesmere Port. The Cistercian abbey was later taken over by Whalley Abbey near Preston.

I first became interested in this building as a schoolboy living in Mossley Hill just up the road from the old structure in the early 1960's and at that time I met Miss Frith, an elderly lady who lived in the building. I believe she told me she was a relative, possibly a grand niece, of Francis Frith (1822-1898), the noted photographer, who has left us various images of Liverpool and other locales throughout the British Isles. Miss Frith had a marked interest in the fact that the buildings appear to have been used to hide Catholic priests who were persecuted under the Tudor and Stuart monarchies. The priests would have been coming to minister to the then occupants of nearby Aigburth Hall, then owned by the Tarleton and Harrington families. There are some crude initials inscribed on the outside wall of some steps leading up the "granary" -- the southeastern end of the building which are believed to be those of Jesuit priests who are believed to have been buried on the property.

I took black and white photographs of Stanlaw Grange in the Sixties that I hope to post soon but meanwhile the following are new colour photographs I took eleven days ago.

Shown first is the western end of the property with a sandstone mullioned window with mason's marks that match similar mason's symbols seen at Birkenhead Priory on the Wirral. Next a wider view of the range of the 104 foot building and third a shot of the granary steps mentioned above, now overgrown with creeper.

Next is seen the eastern gable end of the remaining that adjoined a "monk's house" so-called in Griffith's The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth (1907) which contains a photograph of it before its demolition in the early years of the twentieth century. Door and window (?) openings are still evident in the gable end. The building with chimney at back is a new addition. Last is shown a remnant of a wall remaining from an "upper barn" with window embrasures that forms the eastern boundary of the nursery that now occupies where the monk's house and barn stood. A "lower barn" stood on the western end of the existing building, toward Aigburth Road.

For more information on Stanlaw Grange, see Mike Royden's Local History Pages.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

excellent views Chris, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

Friggin ell scouse mouse on another thread. And it took him 3 years to get over to it, get back over to that other one you
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Ged and Scouse Mouse

Good to see this thread revived. Thanks. I think Stanlaw Grange is an important survivor of Liverpool's rich past. Some people say "Ah but it was only a farm building." Well, nonetheless, when you consider that the city has lost so many of its earlier buildings (the Castle, the Tower, the Sailor's Home), I think it's grand that we still have this one. Of course it's close to my heart because I used to live up the road, at 76 Aigburth Hall Avenue, when I lived there with my grandparents while attending Rose Lane School, and later Quarry Bank and then just my Grandad after Nanna died in January 1965.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Hi Chris,
    I'd never heard of the place. Is Aigburth Hall what became Aigburth Peoples Hall? I was a member there in 1967-68 and played snooker there with mates.

This one?

Blog Entries

Yes Ged.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I'd never heard of the place. Is Aigburth Hall what became Aigburth Peoples Hall? I was a member there in 1967-68 and played snooker there with mates.
    Sorry, Kevin, no I believe the original Aigburth Hall of the Tarleton and Harrington families, which was to the south of Aigburth Hall Avenue, was demolished circa 1840. There's information on Mike Royden's site as mentioned above.

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Excellent work Chris,

"Stanlaw Grange", the name was familiar, but that's all I knew of it. Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,

Daz

Aiggy Hall:

Copyright LRO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigburth Hall, Ai&#.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	14721

Aigburth Hall when about to undergo demolition in 1935.

Liverpool Record Office Archive have some old photographs online, by J. Pinnington.
    http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...7stanlaw%27%29

The photos are not on line though are they, just the reference numbers for viewing them in the LRO?

12 large photos by J. Pinnington can be viewed online, I've just tested them.
    Scroll to bottom of first page, they continue on page 2. They are approx. 1800-2000 pixels in size.
    http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...7stanlaw%27%29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast