Thread: Big Flame.

Default Big Flame.

Real Scouse accents! None of that "On de bush lad! Goin' Old Shwan lad!" stuff you hear these days.

http://www.solfed.org.uk/?q=the-big-...elf-management

Blog Entries

I first saw this when it was televised in '69. I had just started work ashore in Birmingham and was beginning to see what life was like in place that had no trade union. The conditions were vile and I tried to get the union in to get some organisation going that would help improve our lot. Ken Loach's play fired me wih enthusiasm but I failed in my aim,the bosses just threatened to sack anyone who went to the meeting that I had organised. I left there and got another job, that turned out to be even worse ,everyone was self employed,excepting for me,and everytime the salesmen brought a new order ,we made wire products,rat traps bird cages,fire guards etc.,the job and quantity were placed on the notice board and all the wire workers then put bids in to get the job. Competition was fierce and it was always the lowest bid that won. It was naked capitalism and the men worked for peanuts. I stayed for a month and left for a job as a postman. I believed,very strongly,that workers were better off with the protection of a strong union. The Big Flame was brilliant and I recommend it as essential viewing for everyone.It was well produced and the acting was spot on. Thanks for bringing it back to our attention Ronnie, I will enjoy watching it again,
    BrianD

Ken Loach will be speaking at a meeting in Liverpool on Thursday Feb 10. The Blue Room in Duke Street.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    ...we made wire products, rat traps, bird cages, fire guards etc., the job and quantity were placed on the notice board and all the wire workers then put bids in to get the job... BrianD
    A bit symbolic, all those cages, traps and guards, methinks? A living metaphor of life under naked capitalism! (Had you appreciated that link yourself by the time you came to leave... or looking back later?)