Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Silver Blades Ice Rink

So,is there a plan for a new rink somewhere?

Possibly

Smile Sorry for the deep sleep delay!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lee timmins View Post
    hi mike what did this les look like,what did he do ,just trying to remember,cheers lee
    Hi Lee. Les was a bit on the portly side and had grey curley hair , he used wear a sheepskin coat when at the rink to combat the cold.

Les was a well known chap in the Liverpool area as he was the owner of the ice rink , its a place that i will never forget and wish i could turn back the clock to do it all again, and to find out that Les had died of a suspected overdose to me was a huge shock and one which i seriously doubted and heres why , Les was Jewish by relegion and he knew how to make and look after money... insurance companies would hold out on the life insurance payout in those circumstances and its this fact that makes me wonder what really did happen to him. I will always remember him fondly and will treasure the memories i gained there all those years ago.

On a foot note , does anyone know the first names of his two daughters , i understand that they went on to become cabin crew for an airline, i am an aircraft engineer myself for Virgin Atlantic Airways and would love to look them up and get a chance to say hi again .

Very best wishes.

Mike.

I've only been caught on ice skates a couple of times in my life. One time was on Christmas Day in 1958 when my parents and I were living in Wallingford, Connecticut... I'm shown below with a friend (I'm on the left). The other time was during the mid to late Sixties at the Silver Blades when I used to go with my friend Geoff (I was living with my Grandad in Mossley Hill at the time). Geoff courted his future wife there.

(Cell phone pic from a color slide)
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Mike .

For the life of me i couldn't remember the girls names , then it came to me ,,

Gaynor & i think Gill became a model/skater. Les really wanted both girls to become skaters.

Like previously said , i don't believe for one minute that Les took his own life , He could be a grumpy old sod but i got on with him . I remember him phoning & asking for my dad ,My dad was fed up at the time of Les expecting him to drop everything & told me to tell him he was in the bath , WELL !!!!! did Les kick off or what ..
    haha , remember that sheepskin coat in
    Love Karen

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I've only been caught on ice skates a couple of times in my life. One time was on Christmas Day in 1958 when my parents and I were living in Wallingford, Connecticut... I'm shown below with a friend (I'm on the left). The other time was during the mid to late Sixties at the Silver Blades when I used to go with my friend Geoff (I was living with my Grandad in Mossley Hill at the time). Geoff courted his future wife there.

(Cell phone pic from a color slide)

Looks like a scene from 'Blair Witch' Chris!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    my grandad used to work there
    Took my fisrst girlfriend there still remeber the place well saturday morning disco's t-rex

Default ice rink

After many years rollerskating in Sefton Park ,m I and a few friends started going to the ice rink in Kensington, after a while of hiring the skates , I spotted a pair for sale in a second hand shop in Larkl Lane , the shop was called Martins, eventually I pursuaded my mum to give me the 16 shillings to buy the skates, on buying them I found that they were girls skates as they were in a cream colour, my mum dyed them a navy blue so they didnt look to out of place, and I used them untill they became too small for me, that was in the years 1954- 1956, Ahh such happy memories I was 12 at the time that I started going to the ice rink. Cheers Keith .

Post remember Norman

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    OMG LINDY ,
    Ask them if they remember Norman ,

Poor Les , that was sad .
    Karen
    YES I DO KNOW LES THE OWNER . I ALSO KNOW NORMIN AS I WORKED WITH HIM FOR MANY YEARS IN THE ICE RINK THEY WAS THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE IS THIS CAREN HIS DURTER IF SO CAN U SEND AN EMAIL ADDRESS

MY NAME IS LESLIE ALEXANDER ( LITTLE LES) I WAS NOWN AS IN THE ICE RINK

merseyside61@hotmail.com.COM

OMG
    Where the hell have you been hiding Les ?
    I'm sorry to say my dad passed away in Feb , We tried to contact you & also Benny , who is sailing somewhere around the world , Even tried the place in Hesketh st & the Cafe on Aiggy Rd ,

Will send you a message

Karen

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    my grandad used to work there
    what was ur grandads name i worked ther up till it shut down

what did he do ther

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Silver Blades was part of my childhood as my mum, nan and aunty worked there. (see the other thread).

funny enough - I never took to skating.
    did they work ther when it was the liverpool ice rink cos i worked ther then

thanks

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    Hi Lee. Les was a bit on the portly side and had grey curley hair , he used wear a sheepskin coat when at the rink to combat the cold.

Les was a well known chap in the Liverpool area as he was the owner of the ice rink , its a place that i will never forget and wish i could turn back the clock to do it all again, and to find out that Les had died of a suspected overdose to me was a huge shock and one which i seriously doubted and heres why , Les was Jewish by relegion and he knew how to make and look after money... insurance companies would hold out on the life insurance payout in those circumstances and its this fact that makes me wonder what really did happen to him. I will always remember him fondly and will treasure the memories i gained there all those years ago.

On a foot note , does anyone know the first names of his two daughters , i understand that they went on to become cabin crew for an airline, i am an aircraft engineer myself for Virgin Atlantic Airways and would love to look them up and get a chance to say hi again .

Very best wishes.

Mike.
    one was caled jill and other was caled gayner

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    OMG
    Where the hell have you been hiding Les ?
    I'm sorry to say my dad passed away in Feb , We tried to contact you & also Benny , who is sailing somewhere around the world , Even tried the place in Hesketh st & the Cafe on Aiggy Rd ,

Will send you a message

Karen
    IM SO SORRY TO HEAR A BOUT UR DAD MY BEST FRIEND ,AND LIKE A 2ND DAD TO ME IT HAS COME AS A BIG SHOCK AS I TRYED PHONEING HIM THE LAST 2 DAYS I HAVE ALLWAYS WHANTED TO GET INTOUCH WITH YOU I EVEN ASKED UR DAD ABOUT 2 YEAR AGO TO GIVE U MY PHONE NUMBER I HAVERNT SEEN UR DAD FOR ABOUT 10-12 YEARS AND YET IT SEEMS LIKE YESTER DAY I WAS IN THE ICE RINK WITH HIM HE WAS VERY GOOD TO ME AND WAS WELL APRECHATED SORRY FOR ME SPELING IN THE LAST 15 YEARS I HAVE DONE LOTS OF ODD JOBS FOR FRIENDS AND NIBOURS AND THEY SAY TO ME HOW DO I KNOW SO MUCH AND ITS ALL DOWN TO UR DAD AND I THANK HIM WITH ALL MY HART NO ONE COULD EVER REPLACE HIM ONE IN A MILLIAN I WOULD SAY ANYWAY HOPE TO TALK TO SOON HOW IS UR LES ANYWAY.

BYE FOR NOW

(little ) LES

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leslie alexander View Post
    what was ur grandads name i worked ther up till it shut down

what did he do ther
    Peter
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast