Thread: Tue Brook Culvert - Liverpool - Jan 2011 -

georgie t

Arrow Tue Brook Culvert - Liverpool - Jan 2011 -

Tuebrook ( Tew Brook named after the Norse God “Tiu” ) is now enclosed in a culvert under ground. It can be seen above ground behind the carlton Cinema for a short distance.

The source of the Tuebrook can be traced to a spring on Old Swan Hill which is now called Edge Lane. The Brook flows from here and takes a course down St. Oswald Street it then winds its way down Prescot Road and then down Green Lane. behind the Carlton Cinema is the only place that the Brook flows freely overground as it is piped or culverted, from here it heads toward Lisburn Lane a large pool formed roughly by the roundabout it then flows down Lisburn Lane then onto Maiden Lane.

heres some info from the book underground liverpool by jim moore

the main tributary of the river alt is tuebrook which starts near prescot road and is culverted all the way to fazarkely unlike other streams it is diverted along a tunnel to cut off the large fazakely loop and is then sewered.
    water continues to to flow into the tew brook and by the time it gets to walton a surface stream is once again in existence flowing east just south of fazakerly hospital with a much reduced flow.
    part of the tew brook flows under what was once open ground between richard kelly drive and abington road ,it is common practice not to build on culverted streams but nevertheless,houses and a new asda have been built on this open space.

tuebrook to fazakerly is one huge culvert

one night me and kevsy21 went to check this out behind the cinema and sure enough the culvert was there also work had started on this because apparently it was due to collpase at any minute under the roundabout...bingo 2 access points the green lane end and the muirhead ave end.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...52-27916136/2/

we decided to check the roundabout end out first and was stopped by police asking what we was doing etc (i suppose at 12 midnight 2 blokes shining torches near plant machinery doesnt look good) but anyway we explained we was just looking at the now exposed culvert down a deep hole and had no interest in doing anything else happy with that they left but without one further "so your not thinking of stealing that digger"....nahh m8

fast forward a few days and a plan was hatched to check out both exposed parts the green lane end and the muirhead ave end

the green lane end we done first and after entering it was looking promising but the further we went the deeper it got until we was faced with a sunken tunnel just popping its head out of the water...so with that we headed back stopping for a bit to admire the sounds of the social club we was under....come on eileen or something i think they was playin.

next we was standing on tuebrook roundabout hiding in the bushes for this stupidly busy roundabout to clear then going one by one with kevsy21 going first then wimr then me last down the hole provided by council until we was all standing in this 170yr old culvert.

under the roundabout took us through old brick work and into a facking long tunnel that never seemed to stop ,we explored a fair bit into it but decided to call it a day,it was late and we had spent most of the night in other drains and wasnt prepared to walk this 5/6 mile tunnel so a return trip is on the cards to see how long this actually is.

visited with kevsy21 and wimr

firstly green lane end (this isnt actually behind the carlton cinema but in the cul de sac behind it just to the left)

theres a little collapse in here and was tricky to get past

at the end is the sunken tunnel

now muirhead end (the first glimpse as you get down the hole)

ending up in this concrete tunnel

IN YOUR CULVERTZ!!!!

Fantastic pic's there Georgie! Always wondered about it's route, and if that was the cause of the flooding at the roundabout,which they are working on now!

Great pics, Georgie — but honestly, your off your cake!
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Georgie,Man...you should apply for a council job down the sewers...you'd feel right at home there.

Hope you disinfect yourself after all these undergound scufflings?

Great photos but not very bright.Did you do a gas test,have a 'top man' at the entrance,tell anybody where you would be ??????

Fantastic pic's there Georgie! Always wondered about it's route, and if that was the cause of the flooding at the roundabout,which they are working on now!

Blog Entries

Very Good, love this series!

Fantastic !

I'm really interested in this because I remember from when I little, the brook running alongside Maiden Lane ( where the playing fields are). There was originally an old stone wall there and I have a childhood memory of my grandmother lifting me up to look over at the water. My Grandmother was born 1905 in Worcester Drive just off Maiden lane, and she remembered the stream well.

The Maiden Lane part of the brook was filled in probably early or mid 1960's ?

This is one helluva long brook and also flows through Stockbridge Village (Aka Cantril Farm) then through Huyton with Roby and so on through Seftons Estate.

The Alt runs from Hag Plantation in Huyton at 125ft (40m), through Croxteth Park, roughly follows the M57 motorway south of Kirkby, then flows north of Aintree and south of Maghull. Historically within Lancashire, it then runs south of Formby and empties into the Irish Sea, near the edge of the Mersey estuary where it marks the northern end of Crosby Beach.[1]

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NhocCuteGirlUK View Post
    Is there an echo in the room (and not a Liverpool Echo!) or did you post under both screen names, Steve???

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Well he ison security,Chris and there's 6 hour difference.

This is a sackable offence on most sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Is there an echo in the room (and not a Liverpool Echo!) or did you post under both screen names, Steve???

Chris
    Sorry Chris, but me no cute girl!!

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Well he ison security,Chris and there's 6 hour difference.

This is a sackable offence on most sites.
    Me on security???

georgie t

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    cheers bud yehh its to apparently ease flooding

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    Great photos but not very bright.Did you do a gas test,have a 'top man' at the entrance,tell anybody where you would be ??????
    fair play its not everyones cup of tea but we didnt or dont just jump into these things before research etc...

the gas levels we was told would be minimum due to it not actually being a sewer when i start going into sewers thats when we will take gas detectors

both guys i went with are trusted people and we watched eachothers backs or as you said a "top man" one at the front ,middle and back etc ,and certain people knew were we would be im sure if there was a risk of gas the council would have put a warning sign up by the huge hole they have dug in the ground