Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashfield Cottages—Hopwood Street—1900's

Default Ashfield Cottages—Hopwood Street—1900's

Hello All,
    My Grandparents, Thomas & Mary Manley, brought up a family of nine children in Ashfield Cottages in late 1890's early 1900's.
    Apart from that I have found nothing about Ashfield Cottages, which I think were in Hopwood Street [?].
    Any info/pics — anything at all?
    Thanks in advance
    Joge

Gnomie

Hi Joge and welcome

I had rellies in Ashfield cottages and in Ashfield gardens. cant find any pics for the gardens though. I think ( i may get corrected ) that they where near St Martins cottages, was that ashfield street? between Sylvester and Hopwood street.

Im sure someone will give a better idea.

good luck.

Tony.

Hi, and thanks for replies and pics.
    Massive re-assessment of my mental image of what Ashfield Cottages might have looked like!! "Cottages" indeed — someone in the planning department had a wondefully ironic sense of humour when it came to naming those tenements.
    I'm still trying to pin down their exact location — hence the 1890 map [Which I hope I've attached O.K.].
    This is from the check list of Corporation "Dwellings" provided by Philip G:—
    1868-9 Housing: St Martin's Cottages, Vauxhall Road/Silvester Street. Built 1868-69. Opened 1869. 124 units. These were Liverpool's (& Britain's) 1st Corporation Housing.

I presume St. Martins Cottages is as indicated, and I'm guessing Ashfield Cottages is off Hopwood St.

Thanks again.

Joge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashfield Cottages.jpeg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	3149  

PhilipG

Here's Ashfield Cottages on the 1925 OS map. (Source: LRO).
    They're also shown on the 1905 OS reprint by Alan Godfrey.
    I'm reasonably sure that they were privately built rather than Corporation "Dwellings".
    My list is probably complete for all Corpy-built housing before 1920.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...tion+dwellings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ashfield.jpg 
Views:	1007 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	3162  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-29-2007 at 12:48 PM.

As you can see joge, St. Martin's cottages went right down to Vauxhall road and a pic of them can be seen on the Scottie press website supplied earlier on by Gerard, so the first OS map you put up doesn't contain them but instead shows a works. Ashfield cottages are shown on Phil's 2nd OS map and they were situated in Ashfield st from where the 'cottages' get their name.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As you can see joge, St. Martin's cottages went right down to Vauxhall road and a pic of them can be seen on the Scottie press website supplied earlier on by Gerard, so the first OS map you put up doesn't contain them but instead shows a works. Ashfield cottages are shown on Phil's 2nd OS map and they were situated in Ashfield st from where the 'cottages' get their name.
    Ged, I didn't say before, but Joge's map isn't the 1890 OS.
    I don't actually recognise his map, but I've got most of the 1890 sheet 106.10, but not the top bit where Ashfield Cottages were.

You've got some great maps there Phil. I've copied some of those LRO ones but as you know they're laminated and huge so inevitably, unless you do the whole lot bit by bit on their little A4 copier, there will be bits you miss off.

PhilipG

You've got some great maps there Phil. I've copied some of those LRO ones but as you know they're laminated and huge so inevitably, unless you do the whole lot bit by bit on their little A4 copier, there will be bits you miss off.
    You can do A3 size as long as the maps are over 75 years old (or is that 50?).
    I've got so many they stand about a foot high!

PhilipG

There's photos of Ashfield Cottages there, but more importantly an 1891 map which shows them.
    Because they existed in 1891 they definitely weren't Corpy housing, as the first three examples are known.
    See the link to my list, above.

Cadfael

A note or two on St Martin-in-the-fields Church which stood on Silvester Street:

Great Oxford Street was later renamed Silvester Street and is situated off Vauxhall Road, Liverpool 5. The foundation stone f the church of St Martin-in-the-fields was laid in 1825 and the church with its parochial burial ground was consecrated on 16th January 1829. It was built to the designs of John Foster Jr. St Martin's was bombed in 1941 and the parish was merged with that of Our Lady and St Nicholas in 1949.

There is also more information at:

http://www.scottiepress.org.uk/projects/remember.htm

The illustration below is by Michael P Treanor:

Attachment 3163
    Last edited by Cadfael; 06-29-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Yes, it was known as the Black Church due to James Muspratt's chemical works which discoloured it for which he was prosecuted.

Phil. If the first 3 lots of municipal housing were up by 1890. Why couldn't Ashfield Cottages be so too, assuming they were only built in the year of that map?

PhilipG

Phil. If the first 3 lots of municipal housing were up by 1890. Why couldn't Ashfield Cottages be so too, assuming they were only built in the year of that map?
    That 1891 map would have been the year it was published, so would show the situation as it was in 1890.
    The third Corpy Housing was completed in December 1890.

Also, I'm almost certain that I've got all of them before 1900, and most of them before 1920.

But, If I'm wrong, I'll put my hands up.
    I wonder if Joge will be able to confirm one way or another.

I've a hunch you're right anyway. How common were privately built tenements like that back then, do you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast