Thread: Judas

Blog Entries

Default Judas

Do the kids in The Dingle still burn Judas on Good Friday morning?

Blog Entries

It appears to be a Greek Orthodox church ritual...

http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-c...eekeaster.html

[BTW. last week and this on a TV programme, The Antiques Road Trip, BBC2 5.15 pm. they have visited Liverpool, Chester, The Wirrel and the Birkenhead side. I enjoyed seeing them all.]

Blog Entries

Ah... the Judas Burnings. This is a really quirky scouse tradition. I don't think it happens anymore, but I know people who certainly remember and partook in it.

I had an article somewhere about this tradition, i'll try and dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Ah... the Judas Burnings. This is a really quirky scouse tradition. I don't think it happens anymore, but I know people who certainly remember and partook in it.

I had an article somewhere about this tradition, i'll try and dig it out.
    There's a thread on this here.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

A coded identity, I suspect - for 'Judas' read 'Pope'! Good that all that animosity has faded away now - thanks mainly, I would argue, to the efforts of those two remarkable Archbishops, Shepherd and Worlock.

A pointer to the truth or otherwise of this might be to try and establish the date on which that second 'bommy night' was held...

Would that be Derek Worlock as opposed to Warlock? JB would be a bit of a misfortune to have the name of witchcraft being a priest methinks.

Blog Entries

There's an interesting BBC article here, referring to the burning of Judas in the Toxteth and Dingle areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml

Also wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Judas

And another thread here leading on the BBC article above.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...UDAS%20BURNING
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Still no reference to the Pope though! Odd that the tradition seems to be common to a number of Catholic countries, yet the Dingle was always a Proddy stronghold. I can myself remember the graffiti reading "Hang The Pope" that used to be common there... So I'm sticking to my explanation until a better one comes along...

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Would that be Derek Worlock as opposed to Warlock? JB would be a bit of a misfortune to have the name of witchcraft being a priest methinks.
    Thanks, George - noted and corrected!

Blog Entries

It is odd, as you say, Toxteth and the Dingle are for the most part protestant. Although not exclusively - here's a snapshot of the different faiths represented in Toxteth:

Church of England, Church of England, Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Welsh Baptist
    Lancashire OnLine Parish

The burning of Judas is popular in Catholic countries, especially Greece, Spain and Portugal. I wonder if there's a connection to the streets mentioned in the article?

'Moses Street'
    'Cockburn Street to Grafton Street'
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    A coded identity, I suspect - for 'Judas' read 'Pope'! Good that all that animosity has faded away now - thanks mainly, I would argue, to the efforts of those two remarkable Archbishops, Shepherd and Worlock.

A pointer to the truth or otherwise of this might be to try and establish the date on which that second 'bommy night' was held...
    No John I don't think all of the animosity has gone just try posting about Joseph Alios Ratzinger & watch them come out of the woodwork.
    We didn't burn Judas at night time, it was always first thing on Good Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    It is odd, as you say, Toxteth and the Dingle are for the most part protestant. Although not exclusively - here's a snapshot of the different faiths represented in Toxteth:

Church of England, Church of England, Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Welsh Baptist
    Lancashire OnLine Parish

The burning of Judas is popular in Catholic countries, especially Greece, Spain and Portugal. I wonder if there's a connection to the streets mentioned in the article?

'Moses Street'
    'Cockburn Street to Grafton Street'

No mention of Catholics but most of my street was catholic (Hodges Mount) and there were 3 churches and 4 schools for catholics in Toxteth/Dingle within a mile of high park street

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

It sounds familiar but I don't remember actually doing it. I think I remember that it WAS done by the older kids but before we were up and about. Don't remember it at all in my teens.

I have a friend from (and still lives in) Lewis where they have a huge annual ceremony by the whole little town/village drags an effigy of the Pope on a cart to the top of a hill. The effigy is filled with fireworks, there is a big to-do with everyone carrying flaming torches. Then they burn the effigy. I have a friend from Kent who went to see it and described it to me, however, my friend Avril SWEARS it is not a religious thing,(does not want to hurt my feelings) The image of the Pope with fireworks shooting out of his hands and body and his head explodes at the end seems a tad religious to me, I think it is hilarious. I am willing to believe it is now simply tradition as opposed to religious.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by essexscouse View Post
    No mention of Catholics but most of my street was catholic (Hodges Mount) and there were 3 churches and 4 schools for catholics in Toxteth/Dingle within a mile of high park street
    I lived off High Park Street. I am a left footer!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoolan View Post
    Do the kids in The Dingle still burn Judas on Good Friday morning?
    No longer live in Liverpool, but we used to in the late 50's and 60's was good fun - our fire was at the bottom on Wellington Road, there was another one in Lockhart Street and Thornton Place.

Very strange Mrs M. Our fire was in the living room
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.