Thread: Lime Street, c1935

Blog Entries

Default Lime Street, c1935

A busy view of Ranelagh Place and Lime Street in 1931. The building, partly shown, on the direct left is the original Lewis’s department store which was bombed in May 1941. Nearby Blackler’s store and the facing block on the corner of Lime Street (the building with the strange observation tower in the top [...]

More...

An interesting comparison! There don't seem to be many pic's of that particular corner, which I remember as the Army & Navy stores! Was Peter Robinson a department store?

Blog Entries

Peter Robinson's were a national chain of fashion retailers. I am not sure when they 'disappeared' but I remember they had a branch in Sheffield at the end of the 1960s.

Taken from Arcadia Group Wikipedia entry

After World War II Montague Burton offered men the chance to buy a full suit, which included jacket, trousers, waistcoat, shirt and underwear and became known as 'The Full Monty'.[1] In 1946 the Company acquired the Peter Robinson women's fashion chain.[3] By 1952, the year of Montague Burton's death, the Company was the largest multiple tailor in the world.[1]

Burton was the official sponsor for the World Cup in 1966.[1]

In the mid-60s the Peter Robinson chain was relaunched as Topshop.[3] This was in response to the development of a new young fashion culture around Britain in the 1960s; Topshop became the company's home of young, modern, on-trend ladieswear, a role it continues to hold. The Topshop launch began with Topshop-branded departments within Peter Robinson stores in 1964, with the first standalone Topshop stores opened ten years later in 1974.[1] Eventually the Peter Robinson name was dropped altogether.

Fantastic photos and information as ever Colin.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I'll second that Ged....brilliant photo and info again Colin. Thanks!
    A nice way to start the New Year off.

I always thought that building was Jaccob's, the tailors, set up to rival Lewis's at the time? I think George had a postcard of it on here, which I can't seem to find now.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.