Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bus Depot- Kirkdale

Quote Originally Posted by johnny blue View Post
    I always thought that picture was of Warbreck Moor on a race day.
    Yes it is warbreck moor, picture taken from the rail bridge looking towards sefton arms

Here's a few buses outside the depot
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

I'm only going by the site that hosted the pic chaps. if its wrongg then blame the provider.

No problem, the road sign above H Morrey's fruit & flower shop, is Ealing rd, opposite is Melling Ave. The site owner has obviously not done much research.
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

I FOUND IT.....knew I'd seen it somewhere on t net....
    http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/t...2537/index.htm

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

The site owner has obviously not done much research.
    It was linked to the red&white cop site,but it looks as though it was taken from the link in my last post as the site owner has it marked right ie Aintree race day.

What buses , apart from the No 25 left Spellow Lane depot ?
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
    Malcolm X

Tsk! women,they want to know everything.

Can't help yer there,remember getting the 25 home from town many a time,it stopped outside TJ Hughes where the pavement has now been flagged and a market set up there.

That's right , i used to get it there too , but if it took too long to arrive i'd get the 46 and walk up . We used to get it to Aigburth too for Otterspool . But mostly i would get it from Spellow lane when my mum and i went to county or Walton road for the messages .
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it.
    Malcolm X

Number 3 tram and bus to Dingle went from Spellow Lane
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

The 46 to Penny Lane according to that photo err Penny Lane
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

See yje old ultimate ticket machine on display these were fased out,late 1980s when a new ticket machine was introduced called the WAYFARER.This new machine also had a module in and it had all the info on the display(if req) by driver on completion of his TACK(duty)He returned to depot to pay in and down load his module into the main one in depot.However the ultimate was very fast at issuing tickets and very reliable.Prior to the ULTIMATE> Liverpool corporation had the TIM.this was a lot slower and again not vert popular with the guards.(conductors)If a Driver was on stand by and a guard failed he would have to go out with a TIM and do the duty with the DRIVER this system stopped when they brought in OMO buses.

Blog Entries

1.2.3.20.21,22,25.30.Supps 67a.33.36.92b.93.(46 was fromPAR(penny lane depot) Schools(baths/playing fields)

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pennylane View Post

Thanks Billy , i mustn't have taken any notice of the other buses .. Remember you could sit on the bus and wait for the driver ?
    Malcolm X

Blog Entries

In 1963 LCPT,opened a new all enclosed purpose built bus depot on the site of the old tram sheds.This was completley new apart from the original three arched entrances at the side.To get all the buses repositioned for next days earlys,the crews from Dingle(now gone)Gillmoss ran the buses in off the lates.The shunters also moved some from these locations.This now meant all Dingle crews had a option of transfer to Walton.Edge Lane or PAR.Most went to Walton as there road sheets moved there i.e.3.20.25.I was very privaledged to work with some of these guys from the south end.Now they had to travel to work and home again remember cars were not within the reach of many familys.The new depot had some teething problems to begin but how nice it was to get in your bus first in morning nice and warm.Overnight the three main doors were closed.This was also a godsend for the fitters working underneath at the bus pits facing Spellow Lane.Most people as I said did not own a car and also the working week was 5 1/2 days or 6 days .

Blog Entries

Now when I said before (till i ran out of space)dont know how to do a full page!!5 1/2 or 6.days was the norm.LCPT.Ribble.Crossville.all had a big staff shortage problem.Due to Fords.standard triumph.Vauxhall car plants offering big wages and 38hrs.also work was more freely available.So we as bus crews made up for it by working loads of BUCK(O/T) rest days also.I know of many a guard who took out the bus on a early went to pay in and desk inspector saying no relief for that bus Can you work a Double then later Treble,so he has worked the board!!The Driver was restricted by PSV rules on hours.HAPPY DAYS.Prior to buses I was at sea.(M.N.) so I did a spell at Walton Depot.They used to call it the seamens refuge!Extra bit of time home,see kids a bit more.So every day was differant and various shifts.B.W.

Blog Entries

Ater I did a year ON THE BUSES.The call of the sea was bekoning,and I was getting a bit fed up with some of the petty rules and regulations.Also we must have had the worst winter on record (1963)No heaters on bus freezing cold.I gave my notice in (Jan 2) went down to the pool got a ship and sailed for south america all within 6days.I was a happy chappie.Was in the tropics soon after (10 days) I have to say I got my degree of life up and down the bus routes of Liverpool.You met all types of people from early morning cleaners(scouse ladies) women with kids(prams)Big bundles of washing going to the wash houses(mile end)Workers on the top deck smoking every one!!off to work mainly docks.postmen and the like.Shoppers.All wanting help with there bags on and off the bus.Lates, folks going out to town,bingo cinema.pub,then home again worse for ware,Thing was in general we all had a bloody good laugh.Times have now changed the fun has gone from many things.The P.C. brigade and Do Gooders are here to stay.One things for sure Scousers are Unique and the Best.God Bless You All.Billy Wizz.xxx.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast