Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Sinking of the Laconia

Blog Entries

The December issue of Ships Monthly magazine carries an interesting four page spread on the Laconia incident, complete with many photos of her in peacetime activities, as well as of her in capsize with survivors hanging on to her upturned hull. It is a British publication, and easy enough to come by.

Blog Entries

As a merchant seaman of the 40`s / 50`s era I must agree generally with Captain Kongs comments re Bleasedales "sinking of the Laconia". I too thought it was an absolutely appalling production which was completely lacking in realism and authenticity, and was never at any point in the least convincing. The `sets` aboard ship were so unreal and amateurish as to be ridiculous and laughable. Not one single set offered even the remotest likeness to shipboard reality. Also as `Kong` pointed out the uniforms also were quite bizarre. Some supposed merchant seamen wore what appeared to be RN boilersuits with RN type badges on the sleeves. The acting throughout was `stilted` to say the least, but even if the acting had been first rate the production was badly `let down` by the pathetic `visuals`and an unrealistic story line. Bleasedale certainly did himself no favours with this one, and he really should have sought the advice of people with maritime knowledge and experience. This could so easily have been a fine production but sadly it WAS NO SUCH THING !

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    ck, how true. The real life accounts tonight were the best bit. I am left wanting to know more. Like where the blue-blazzies did they go next? Although there are probably a great many such tales to tell.
    Now I want to see this! I would like to know the accounts of the survivors.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

http://www.skaneateles.org/laconia1.html
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ronijayne, a very interesting story. similar except for the rescue of her later sister built in 1920 and sunk in WW2.
    Amazing that the two ships named Laconia were sunk by the German torpedoes in WW1 and WW2. history repeats itself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123