Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found this on me travels

Default Found this on me travels

through the net....used to get models fromthe shopon t corner there.
    http://chesterwalls.info/gallery/liv...s/clayton4.jpg

Yep... I got models there too...

...and Hobbies was only a block or two away...

Fink his name was Gerry?but I do know he was polish and hobbies was in St Johns Precinct but under a different name today thinkits called Model World?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Fink his name was Gerry?but I do know he was polish and hobbies was in St Johns Precinct but under a different name today thinkits called Model World?
    The "Hobbies" store was on Tarleton St leading from Church St. to the ice house square. It was the first place my parents let me go into town for on my own...

Didn't Model World move into St. Johns from a location on Bold St.?

The ice house was on the square in front of the present LFC store location IIRC.

The "Hobbies" store was on Tarleton St
    Yes you're right,I remember now vaguely as I only went there once or twice.
    But I do know there was a Hobbies in the precinct,,dunno if it was the same one in Tarleton Street? it then became Model World and there was a Model World in Bold Street more or less opposite Stan Catchpoles which was anothe model shop.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Should have remembered,its the only place I gotmy Meccano set fom.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Yes you're right,I remember now vaguely as I only went there once or twice.
    But I do know there was a Hobbies in the precinct,,dunno if it was the same one in Tarleton Street? it then became Model World and there was a Model World in Bold Street more or less opposite Stan Catchpoles which was anothe model shop.

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Should have remembered,its the only place I gotmy Meccano set fom.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1
    I'm remembering it from before the precinct was built...

And a giant Meccano model of the Eiffel Tower in the Hobbies window...

Plenty of colour photos of the city models area on the streets ahead page 1 of my site. Also a b&w pic of Hobbies on the buildings page.

I used to frequent all of these. City models moved into a basement shop in Stanley St (sharing with a barbers) next to Radio City. Paul was the big heavy lad who died a few years ago.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Made flying model aircraft from school days till I was about 50. Visited all the liverpool model shops including P j`s in Orrel lane.
    Our house used to smell of aeroplane dope and fuel as my sons were also into model aircraft.Everybody was on a high with the ether and amyll nitrates in the model engine fuel.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Yeah Joe,I remember buying an Balsa wood aeroplane kit and constructing it....huge it was.
    Coupleof weeks later I bought a LittleBee engine,but I wanted to try this engine out before attaching it to the model,screwed the engine down to a piece of wood and filled the tank with Glo-Fuel,gave the propeller a whirl with me finger and the darn thing took flight there and then and bored a hole in the ceiling.

I don't think there wasn't an airfix figure (Joan of arc, henry VIII, coldstream guard, boy scout, Richard the lionheart, Black Prince etc)
    or aeroplane (Blenheim, Stukka, Spitfire, Lancaster bomber, Sunderland seaplane) or ship from liners to battleships - that we didn't have in our house together with the humbrol paints. Hours of fun. Then eventually years later we'd line them up and from the other end of the room, throw dominoes at them as missiles to see who could win on smashing them up to smitherines - what a waste.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

(Joan of arc, henry VIII, coldstream guard, boy scout, Richard the lionheart, Black Prince etc)
    I had all them as well,my painting skills back then was ok but if I could get those today I'd paint em lifelike as I've come far with my painting skill.

Theones they're churnin out today are just unbelievable in detail mind you so is the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    .....or aeroplane (Blenheim, Stukka, Spitfire, Lancaster bomber, Sunderland seaplane) or ship from liners to battleships - that we didn't have in our house together with the humbrol paints. Hours of fun. Then eventually years later we'd line them up and from the other end of the room, throw dominoes at them as missiles to see who could win on smashing them up to smitherines - what a waste.
    We had a long back garden, so my models got blown up with fertilizer and sugar when my parents weren't looking....

As you say, what a waste...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Think I have posted this before, 6ft flying model designed on the back of a roll of wallpaper which I always used for designing my planes. A 2cc deisel engine powered it. It was free flight, luckly I never killed anybody with it. Small models I flew in Stanley park,larger ones on Orrell Pleasure ground. before the Giro was built on it. Bit of a hazard in the winter with all the goalposts alright in the summer, no goalposts
    Pilot is our firstborn in 1959.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Joe - looks like you're in the process of tying a baby to a railway line!

You need to go to specsavers,Kevin....He's about to give his child a high start in life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast