Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geneology sites

Default Geneology sites

so whats the best ones even if they charge a fee and charge prices?

Might as well see if there's any skells in the closet.

Tank yer very kindly reprabates.

I've recently joined FindMyPast but only the foundation membership which should do me for now. I've only recently took up the family tree search hobby but its certainly addictive

I just tried that site fo my mothers marriage name and no sensus records came up or marraige for the year,only thing that came up was a death for knowsley which is where she was resident at the time but it didn't give a middle name.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

A question on this sensus thing...My Ma never ever filled in any type forms and I was wondering if the sensus would be automaticlly filed or has a person got to fill these in at sometime or other throughout their life span?

Ta

Census records you will find are such a pain as if a child was next door at her friends, she would appear on theirs instead of her home address - crazy I know. Also as a lot of people were illiterate, the census taker would write down the name as he heard it rather than how you spelt it a lot of the time.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Oi! Fagan,are you saying my Ma was iller...illit...coudln't write.

She wouldn't fill em in because she thought these people were snooping and trying to find out what yer have for yer breakfast,dinner and tea.

Oh I can quite agree, the older generation were like that I don't doubt.

Now she'll be hard to find for you then

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Census records you will find are such a pain as if a child was next door at her friends, she would appear on theirs instead of her home address - crazy I know. Also as a lot of people were illiterate, the census taker would write down the name as he heard it rather than how you spelt it a lot of the time.
    Yes, you can get people showing up at an address but classed as a 'visitor' etc

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I thought they HAD to provide the information?
    Sometimes when searching you need to ensure the 'include variants' box is checked incase the name was spelled differently etc
    I was searching for an Isabella on one census when she was actually listed as Bella on one census but Isabella on another- it can get quite time consuming.
    Also some birth dates tend to change by a year or more as well from one census to another

http://merseygenforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Merseyside Genealogy and History Forum

If your rellies are from Liverpool/Merseyside then join this forum. Its free and brilliant.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Rootschat. Again a forum and Free. Covers all the country and some overseas.

Just join these sites and ask for help. You may be suprised at what comes back.

A simple Please and Thank You goes a long way on these sites.

If you are just starting I would join these sites first. Gather as much info as you can before going on the payment sites.

And have Patience.

For WW1 and WW2 just google and some great forums come up.

Good Luck.

First things first, get round to the oldest members of your family with a pen and notepad. Get all the info on the family you can before it's too late!! Remember, the census' are only available up to 1911 so you'll need all the info for the last 100 years straight from the horses mouth so to speak... and be prepared for many late nights when you start proper.

Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

If you know a location, try looking for a local web site -

My family was originally from Ayrshire, and this site has helped -

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/

I'm sure equivalent sites exits for other areas....

Google a few of your family names with known locations and something may pop up.

...and after you have bugged your family members as stated above, get them to give you any copies of letters/postcards/pictures they have.

Scan them and distribute to other family members with as much information as you can gather about the picture.

I kept telling my dad, "details don't count if they are in the attic and no-one else knows they are there"...

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I
    ...and after you have bugged your family members as stated above, get them to give you any copies of letters/postcards/pictures they have.

Scan them and distribute to other family members with as much information as you can gather about the picture.

I kept telling my dad, "details don't count if they are in the attic and no-one else knows they are there"...
    A frustrating thing I've found is that few photos seem to have details on the reverse. I have lots of my nans photos of people in wartime etc but havent a clue who they are. I also have a postcard of my great grand dad who seems to be at some sort of ceremony but there is no info on the postcard to tell me why the photo was actually turned into a postcard?

Quote Originally Posted by Wartime Liverpool View Post
    http://merseygenforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Merseyside Genealogy and History Forum

If your rellies are from Liverpool/Merseyside then join this forum. Its free and brilliant.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Rootschat. Again a forum and Free. Covers all the country and some overseas.

Just join these sites and ask for help. You may be suprised at what comes back.

A simple Please and Thank You goes a long way on these sites.

If you are just starting I would join these sites first. Gather as much info as you can before going on the payment sites.

And have Patience.

For WW1 and WW2 just google and some great forums come up.

Good Luck.

I can vouch for these two and together with Spike, remember him

Well, these people are just so helpful and even a photo of a family members grave in Australia and loads of other information about him from WWI came my way.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lelly View Post
    A frustrating thing I've found is that few photos seem to have details on the reverse. I have lots of my nans photos of people in wartime etc but havent a clue who they are. I also have a postcard of my great grand dad who seems to be at some sort of ceremony but there is no info on the postcard to tell me why the photo was actually turned into a postcard?
    Post them up here and on other forums Lelly - you never know.

Some great tips there off anonymouse and Az gila too.

I've been grilling my 80 year old Uncle whose memory is still as sharp as a pin. He always pretty much kept himself to himself and when my dad died back in 1988, it seemed just a case of these other old brothers of his were just there but would soon die off too. After speaking with him a lot lately, you realise the changes he's seen, the info he has and how that would have been lost. I've learned of the person he was and still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelly View Post
    Yes, isn't it frustrating when there are photos with no info on them. We have a few pics like that - we don't have a clue who the people are, whether they are family members or family friends.

Personally, I have always written a date and sometimes the location on the back of every photo I've ever taken ! I always do it. Then I transfer them to albums where they are also dated too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The Jack the Ripper suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety, who was resident in Liverpool during the 1870's when he befriended writer Hall Caine, who at the time working as a newspaperman in the city, later lived in a boarding house in Baltimore, Maryland, at the time of the 1900 census. Although Tumblety is thought to have been born in Dublin in 1830 and lived in a lot of different places during his lifetime, the census return indicates that he was born in Maryland, which clearly was not the case. It's possible that he was not even at the boarding house when the census taker called and someone else, maybe the landlady, answered for him.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, isn't it frustrating when there are photos with no info on them. We have a few pics like that - we don't have a clue who the people are, whether they are family members or family friends.

Personally, I have always written a date and sometimes the location on the back of every photo I've ever taken ! I always do it. Then I transfer them to albums where they are also dated too.
    Be careful how you write on the back of old pictures, sometimes the ink can eventually bleed through.

Scan it first and then write on a sticky label and use that.

I took old photos I found - an aunt's wedding during WWII was one - and tried to get family members to say who everyone was. The main characters all came out the same, but there were discrepancies on assorted friends and neighbours pictured...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast