Thread: census lookup.

Blog Entries

Default census lookup.

Brothers and sisters, can anyone help me with an 1891 census check?
    My great grandmother (Jane) was in service with her then husband (Reuben Varley,coachman). The information I have so far-they and their son Reuben (born 1886 probably while living in this same position) were in the household of Ralph Mainwaring Dawson,at 23 Fulwood Park Aigburth.
    It is possible that they could have occupied some sort of servants cottage as these properties had grounds of an acre or so, if that were the case, would they show up on the census? I've gone as far as I can using the free sites so would be very grateful for any help.
    Cheerio chaps,Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Just looked and have an Alfred Woodhall showing at No 23?
    There are cottages listed for Fullwood Park though its classed as Toxteth Park

Blog Entries

Sister Lelly,thank you for your help.I would like to explain in a bit more detail the information I have on this one.
    My G.grandmother Jane Pilkington, b1857 in Huyton Quarry, after having two illegitemate sons (one of whom was my grandfather), married in 1883, one Reuben Varley 1829-1889.
    Their daughter Florence b1884 d1884, and son Reuben b1885, I had as being born in Fulwood Park, and christened in St Michael's.I found a reference to the husband being a coachman and gardener at 23 Fulwood Park (but didn't make notes,so I can't remember where). while I was looking for any (free) information, I googled Fulwood Park and found a reference to that address in the national archives.I'm not entirely certain what connection Dawson has, but if you have a Woodall shown I wonder if my folks were in his employ?
    Is it possible for you to look up the Varley family in the 1891 census?
    If that's not successful, the only logical thing I can do is try Ancestry when I'm in a better financial position!
    I hope I'm not asking too much of you sister Lelly,and I appreciate your efforts so far.
    Regards, Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Hi Tom,

1894 Directory:

Mart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAGE 785  WOOD TO  WOODROFFE.png 
Views:	334 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	18184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAGE 180 FRA TO GAI.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	18185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAGE 755 UNWIN TO VAUGHAN.png 
Views:	333 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	18186  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

Brother Martin, I am indebted to you for that, it seems that I am improving, even if only slightly, with my researching!
    I guess that if sister Lelly can't do a census lookup, I will perhaps have to put this on the backburner as it were.
    If it works out, I will go and get some pictures of the house to send to my American relations, they go nuts about the 'Olde English' stuff.
    Strangely, while checking out Reuben Varley snr (coachman/gardener) on the 1881 census, I found another Reuben Varley, domestic coachman,similar age,different wife,and residing in Crosby. Isn't that typical, you spend ages waiting for a coachman to come along........
    Bye bye brother M, and thanks again
    ~ Red Tom ~

Hi Tom

The only Reuben Varley showing in 1891 in Lancashire with a birth date of approx 1886 is the following- hope that helps. Note the address. is this your Reuben? Could his mother Jane have remarried and become an Eden? Was her other son called Joseph as he also shows as a stepson to the head of the household?

Person: VARLEY, Reuben
    Address: 28, Houghton Street, Prescot

EDEN, William Head Married M 35 1856 Coal Miner
    EDEN, Jane Wife Married F 34 1857
    VARLEY, Joseph H E Stepson M 10 1881 Scholar
    EDEN, John Son M 10 1881 Scholar
    EDEN, Elizabeth Daughter F 7 1884 Scholar
    VARLEY, Reuben Stepson M 5 1886 Scholar
    EDEN, Alice J E Daughter F 0 (7M) 1891

Does it answer your questions or open up more?
    Last edited by Lelly; 01-03-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Sister Lelly, thank you for your help.I must still be groggy from new year,or I really am losing it as my kids tell me! I apologise for wasting your valuable time checking the 1891 census, if I was wearing my right head I would have checked properly, but my notes are so disorganised.I should have been looking for the family's movements for the period from 1883 to 1889, when Reuben snr died. I am up to scratch from1890 onwards and have the info re Jane's second marriage, but I do appreciate the time you have spent on this, thanks again.I would be grateful if you could enlighten me as to checking this six year period, or have I pushed too far?!
    I really must put my stuff into a proper semblance of order or I will be tripping myself up left, right, and centre.
    The seasons greetings to you sister L, and thanks once more. Tatty bye, tatty bye.

Last edited by Red Tom; 01-03-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Advancing senility.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Hi,
    Reuben Varley b 1827 Bramham Yorkshire parents Samuel and Margaret.
    Regards
    Dot

Some details from http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/

VARLEY Florence, 23 Fulwood Park, burial date 20 August 1884
    VARLEY Reuben, Consumption Hospital Mount Pleasant, burial date 18 April 1889
    DAWSON Ralph Mainwaring, 23 Fulwood Park, burial date 28 June 1910

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Some details from http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/

VARLEY Florence, 23 Fulwood Park, burial date 20 August 1884
    VARLEY Reuben, Consumption Hospital Mount Pleasant, burial date 18 April 1889
    DAWSON Ralph Mainwaring, 23 Fulwood Park, burial date 28 June 1910
    Thanks for this link, Marky. Using the search function, I've just found on my mother's side, my great grandfather, George Thompson Matchett, 46 Merlin Street, Toxteth Park, who was buried 6 April 1922, at age 57, and his father, Matthew Matchett, buried 18 July 1901 at age 79 and who apparently died at Royal Southern Hospital, Toxteth Park.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Hi,
    Reuben Varley b 1827 Bramham Yorkshire parents Samuel and Margaret.
    Regards
    Dot
    Sister Dot, hello and thank you. I've been trying to find some definite information re the Varley link,but without accurate birth details (which I can't access from Ancestry at present) it's difficult.
    I've seen the Bramham connection only recently, but was uncertain, can you let me know where you found the info?
    Many thanks Dot, if it wasn't for people like you bailing me out, I would be unable to continue my project.
    Regards, Tom.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Hi Marky, many thanks for your help, I only have occasional access to my daughter's laptop and it takes an age for me to find anything at all, so your endeavours are very much appreciated.
    Regards, Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lelly View Post
    Hi Tom

The only Reuben Varley showing in 1891 in Lancashire with a birth date of approx 1886 is the following- hope that helps. Note the address. is this your Reuben? Could his mother Jane have remarried and become an Eden? Was her other son called Joseph as he also shows as a stepson to the head of the household?

Person: VARLEY, Reuben
    Address: 28, Houghton Street, Prescot

EDEN, William Head Married M 35 1856 Coal Miner
    EDEN, Jane Wife Married F 34 1857
    VARLEY, Joseph H E Stepson M 10 1881 Scholar
    EDEN, John Son M 10 1881 Scholar
    EDEN, Elizabeth Daughter F 7 1884 Scholar
    VARLEY, Reuben Stepson M 5 1886 Scholar
    EDEN, Alice J E Daughter F 0 (7M) 1891

Does it answer your questions or open up more?
    Sister Lelly, I apologise for not replying to this before, yes this is spot on. My g,grandmother re-married when Varley snr died.
    I've collated a great deal of her life info so far, the only thing I would like to find out is her movements between 1883 and 1890 when she married Eden.I suspect she may well have spent this time in service at Fulwood Park, as her children were born there in 1884 and 1885.I'm getting there thanks to the kind help offered by everyone up to now, the only thing I am not likely to discover is the name of the father of her two illegitimate sons ( born in 1879 and 1880) but I have a cunning plan to discover if possible where she was in service at the time !
    Thanks again Lelly, regards,Tom.
    ~ Red Tom ~

Hi Tom,
    I found his info on the LDS site family search, click on search records top left when page comes up, i have had a few brick walls broken down there.
    Regards
    dot

@ChrisGeorge:
    Re: George Thompson Matchett:
    You may already know that he is not recorded on the headstone at that plot. There is a CWGC headstone to a relative.
    I've photographed around the area before as someone very important in the history of football is on the same row, eight graves away:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McKenna

@ChrisGeorge
    I checked my hard-drive and found that I photographed the CWGC headstone at George Thompson Matchett's plot, last Spring. He is buried in the same plot as Eric MATCHETT:
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2412389

The search engine at http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/ only goes up to 1923. To find people after this year requires a search of every following year for a particular surname.