Thread: Scotland Place

Default Scotland Place

Hi
    I have been researching my family tree and wondered if anyone has any pics of Scotland Place in 1901 period at all?

Blog Entries

Ged, a member here, has a site with at least on such photograph...

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44922707&cr=7

thanks

Blog Entries

WWII bomb damage...

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...-photos-3.html

I know this is not quite what you are after, but we are hardly spoiled for choice.

Got Scotland Place but 1904 Will that do?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A group of shoeblack boys, some barefoot, taken in 1904 at the Dandy Pat Byrne drinking fountain on Scotland Place. The Memorial, probably the only one to a publican was in memory of Irishman Pat Byrne who did much for the area. The fountain was moved to Pownall Square in the 1970s, was vandalised in the 1980s (those Vauxy lot were rough y'know) but was restored in the 1990s by a Committe formed by author Mike Kelly (a nice bloke) The plinth and fountain was found in a council yard and now takes pride of place in St. Anthony's churchyard on Scotland Road where it was unveiled on 14.4.2000 in the presence of some of Pat Byrnes relatives from Co. Wexford, Ireland.

Dandy Pat was the landlord of the Morning Star pub you can see in the backdrop here. Named The Earl of Chester in the 1840s, it was reported in the 1888 that it was upwards of 100 years old then and was called the Royal Oak from the 1850s. It was listed at 24-28 (earlier before renumbering, it was listed as No.15) Scotland Place. It became the Morning Star in the 1860s and in the 1890s the licensee was Felix Byrne. Known locally as Bloods, it was the last pub to be demolished on Scotland Place and had a large clock keeping the locals in good time.

Information with thanks to Freddy O'Connor.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thumbs up

Thats absolutely brilliant- many thanks!!!! 1901 census shows my great great grand father as being a tallow chandler at 8 Scotland Place

Hi Lelly. Scotland Place is my old area, my parents were born in spitting distance of it and I lived there throughout those impressionable formative years and into my late teens. Scotland Place was not a large area, it was basically where Byrom Street, Scotland Road, Richmond Row and Addison Street all met and there was a cut in with public toilets. Here is a photo of it in 1952 with that Morning Star hailing from the 1700s still in good use. When I was let loose and roaming in the early 70s, this area was pretty much a wasteland with the widening of Scottie, Byrom St and the newly extended Christian Street taking a sweep down onto Richmond Row.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Hey, how weird. An earlier pic I put up of the Dandy Pat fountain has disappeared?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hey, how weird. An earlier pic I put up of the Dandy Pat fountain has disappeared?
    This happens when the photo/post has the same name in other post in the archives ie if a photo is called A it will get replaced by a post that could be years old with a photo named A in that post,the old post will not come up though.