Thread: Scarlet Street, off St Anne Street, 1930s

Blog Entries

Default Scarlet Street, off St Anne Street, 1930s

First of all, an apology. In my last but one post, I attributed Dickson Terrace to Dickson Street in the heart of docklands. Researching today’s photograph, I realised that Dickson Terrace was actually off Soho Street, a stone’s throw from Scarlet Street. I have corrected the error, which does not change the general context of [...]

More...

Blog Entries

Scarlet Street, shown on the 1848/64 OS map [LRO].

Before the 'Swimming baths' were built [boundary railings on the photograph] Scarlet Street had an identical row of terraces on the other side, judging by the symmetry on the map. I assume these must date from at least 1848?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarlet St 1848.jpg 
Views:	1071 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	18100
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Another great photo Colin and map/info dazza.

Upper Birkett street later changed to just Birkett Street.

As dazza says, a swimming baths, an open air one was built on Mansfield st. The Judges houses were only demolished in the 1980s with pics of them on my site. The Judges had long since moved to Judges Drive in Newsham Park. Most of these streets were abolished and the four squares/Soho St tenements built on them in the early 1930s. Again, old and new photos of this area are on my site.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Most of these streets were abolished and the four squares/Soho St tenements built on them in the early 1930s.
    The Four squares were further over,Ged.

The streets around Upper Birkette were as you say demolished and replaced with factories ie the engineering firm,Drakes Pride,Edmondsons Lemonade ect,ect

I know exactly where the four squares were squire. Bordered by Soho st/Wakefield st/Mansfield st and Springfield st.

There was a smaller block on Birkett street too, not one of the 4 squares. Only one side of Birkett st was industry, ie. Pitt & Scott mainly, the other side were tenements. I'm looking at dazza's map and talking about Torbock st etc....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I know exactly where the four squares were squire. Bordered by Soho st/Wakefield st/Mansfield st and Springfield st.

There was a smaller block on Birkett street too, not one of the 4 squares. Only one side of Birkett st was industry, ie. Pitt & Scott mainly, the other side were tenements. I'm looking at dazza's map and talking about Torbock st etc....
    Hi Ged,

Re: the four Squares - a slightly bigger version of the map posted earlier.

Does anyone know what a "Night Asylum" was? By the junction of Upper Birkett Street/ Soho Street.

Extract 1848 OS map [LRO]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four Squares.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	18101
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Interesting,I don't see Pritt Street on that map.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Night Asylum
    Basically a doss house for temporary overnight stays.

Thanks dazza. I notice another providence terrace like the one so named in Dingle.

The Judges residences back then had a bowling green according to what I read. Seems a nice grassed area behind.

Yes George, no Pritt st but notice Drinkwater Gardens run in a straight line unlike now.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Something looks strange there the way St. Annes Church faces onto St Anne Street at its end, as later, it fronted onto it.

St. Annes Terrace, just visible on the bigger map, extreme left in the middle is where my dad was born. I took a photo copy of this map out of the big drawers in the LRO but this is better so thanks dazza.

Blog Entries

Hi Colin,
    I was at a do in Wolverhampton tonight and gobsmacked when the host pulled out your 1988 book of Liverpool street scenes. I've pointed him towards your site.
    Kevin