Thread: Walsh family - The Plough - 301 Scotland Road

Default Walsh family - The Plough - 301 Scotland Road

I am looking for information on my great grandfather Patrick Walsh who ran The Plough in the 1930's i believe. He then had another pub - number 49? though I'm not sure of its location. Thanks

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

One for Ged me thinks. He knows all the pubs.

Posted on Yo before I think, on the windmills thread.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The plough is the pub since here on this block between Silvester st and Woodstock st. This and the foundry next door were built on the original site of the old inn. The licensee when the photo was taken between 1947/50 was Mrs Hannah O'Donoghue. Adjoining Costigan's grocery was a sack and bag merchants. Part of this building was taken up by the Lithuanian Social club during the 30s and 40s. Our ladys church, Eldon st houses some Lithuanian artefacts from when the district was truly multicultural with Irish, Italians and Lithuanians, amongst others.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

The Pine at No.49 Scotland Road (it was the Grapes pre 1930s) situated next door but one to my mam and dads local picture house, the Gaiety aka the Gayo.

It was on the corner of Edgar st, one of a few streets in the district named after poets such as Alexander Pope, Cavendish, Addison and Chaucer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks for that - will have to show my mother as she certainly remembers going to visit her grandparents at number 49 but didn't know the name of the of pub - this would be in the 40's I guess.

Having asked my mother, she thinks number 49 was on Fountains Road. Can anyone suggest a name?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Pardon me, but as I searched stuff for Fountains road I came across this. It has a little more to do with that memorial service that wasn't last Sunday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local..._raid_01.shtml

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

P.S.
    I have put this link into the Blitz Stories thread also. (The Blackstock Gardens raid.)

Hi
    49 Fountains Rd was a house Thoma Pugh engineer smith. ( Kelly,s Gore directory 1938).
    Dot

Thanks - will have to go back and check with my mother re the street. She remembers the pub her grandparents (Patrick and Margaret Walsh) had as number 49 and it was a corner pub. Her mother was married in 1931 and her address was 301 Scotland Road (The Plough) so they must have had number 49 after that. Incidently Dixe Dean was a regular at The Plough and dated my grandmother's sister.

The only pubs I remember in Fountains Road are the Saddle, the Kendal Castle and the Fountains Abbey (all corner pubs) but there may have been some back in the 50s/60s that have since gone.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Slowly getting there! The pub it seems was on the corner of Westminster Road and Fountains Road and was number 93 - a Walkers pub.