Thread: Edge Lane, 1939

Blog Entries

Default Edge Lane, 1939

At first glimpse, just a photograph of a Liverpool tobacconist – in this case 426 Edge Lane. Without the caption on the back, this press photograph would simply be a record of a shop advertising the joy of smoking (“For your throat’s sake – smoke Craven A”). The only clue to another storyline is the [...]

More...

Behan was arrested for attempt to blow up the Liverpool Docks whilst in possesion of explosives...werethe IRA taking the mick?the docks are huge.

Did yer hear about the Irishman who tried to blow up the QE2...he burnt his lips onthe funnel.

Fascinating stuff,Colin! I'm not really aware of I.R.A. bombing campaigns before the 70's,so its interesting to get some information on these!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Fascinating stuff,Colin! I'm not really aware of I.R.A. bombing campaigns before the 70's,so its interesting to get some information on these!
    Yes, very interesting, and people on other threads should take note

Great stuff as usual Colin. More to that picture than you'd think then.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

A very interesting backstory to this photograph, Colin. Many thanks.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

I have just received the following information from R. Walsh, which gives a conclusion to my post:
    Kelly was charged, with eight other Liverpool men of possessing explosives, weapons and ammunition with intent to endanger life and cause destruction of property. Kelly was later accused of being the adjutant of an IRA cell. Five of the men stood trial at Manchester Assizes on conspiracy to cause explosions. One, Hannon, was found guilty and sentenced to seven years penal servitude. The rest, including Kelly, were found not guilty and discharged.
    426 Edge Lane stood one along from the corner of Binns Road, going towards town and just opposite The Barbers.

Blog Entries

Very interesting, thanks Colin.

So Liverpool had what we'd now call sleeper cells. I wonder whether there was ever a plan in place to attack the city itself? Or like most will tell you, Liverpool wasn't targeted on account of its large Irish population? Most of the IRA probably came through the port on the way to their targets, or were Irish nationals living and working in the England.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

With regard to IRA Activity in Liverpool - I pickied up an interesting book some time back in a bookshop in Ireland "In the Legion of The Vanguard" published by Mercier Press of Cork.

Written by John Pinkman who grew up in an Irish Nationalist community in Liverpool.

He joined the local IRA Liverpool Liverpool Batallion which mustered at 93 Scotland Road whilst serving an apprenticeship in the docklands.

The author was involved in various plots and ended up in HMP Dartmoor as its youngest prisoner.

On release Pinkman went to Ireland and joined the Free State Army during the Irish Civil War.

Given the Liverpool connection it is surprising the book never appeared to be promoted here on Merseyside.

I think the book is now out of print as it doesn't show on the publishers web site - but worth tracking down a copy if you can.

I must get round to reading it again.

John
    Last edited by irishseashipping.com; 07-16-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: corrections