Thread: Plastering Houses

Unhappy Plastering Houses

I have noticed over the past few years a trend amongst some homeowners of plastering over their houses or painting them rediculous colours. It is most noticeable along roads like Townsend Avenue and queens drive, and down alot of side roads.
    There will be a row of victorian/1920's terraces with original brickwork and the odd one will be covered completely in plaster which looks awful. There are also houses that are painted bright colours which basically look cheap and tatty and look even worse when they are left for years.
    My fear is that this seems to be a growing trend which is permenantly scarring the city's landscape. Even large houses in places like aintree and newsham park are getting the same treatment.

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed this problem, but it's something that really bugs me. There are alot of people that seem to have no taste. I can understand ex-council houses made from concrete blocks being plastered and some art deco buildings, but not pleasant terraces with great original brickwork and grand victorian houses with tonnes of original features.

Blog Entries

I was wondering something similar this very afternoon but with pebble-dashing. I think plastering etc over original brickwork should be discouraged.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I was wondering something similar this very afternoon but with pebble-dashing. I think plastering etc over original brickwork should be discouraged.
    Thanks Kev, I thought I was the only one who had an problem with this.

Default Extrenal rendering/painting of brickwork in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I have noticed over the past few years a trend amongst some homeowners of plastering over their houses or painting them rediculous colours. It is most noticeable along roads like Townsend Avenue and queens drive, and down alot of side roads.

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed this problem, but it's something that really bugs me. There are alot of people that seem to have no taste. I can understand ex-council houses made from concrete blocks being plastered and some art deco buildings, but not pleasant terraces with great original brickwork and grand victorian houses with tonnes of original features.
    This is one of my pet hates too. Some really nice rows of terraced houses have been ruined by such techniques. Quentin Hughes in his book about Liverpool architecture " Seaport" makes much the same comments.
    Unfortunately this is not just a Liverpool phenomenon. I've seen it all over the country. The phrase " An Englishman's Home is his Castle" comes to mind especially if he's bought it off the council and wishes to personalise it.
    Last edited by taffy; 05-10-2007 at 08:41 AM.

About 12 months back, scaffolding went up on a house not far from mine, and the exterior plastering was ripped off and the original brickwork was all revealed. Looks fantastic! I thought. Just clean up the brickwork and it'll look great. But no. They re-plastered it, and painted it yellow. Doesn't look awful, but nowhere near as good as the plain brickwork.

PhilipG

Have you seen the Casartelli Building?

AK1, I agree with you. I have noticed this for a long time. There are some houses in roads by me that are painted dreadful colours - I won't say where - you never know who might be looking in here !! ha!
    I've seen nice rows of well kept houses spoiled by a hideous painted house sticking out like a sore thumb.
    I can't understand where peoples' taste is. What's the matter with them !!

I've seen a house painted in bright lilac !!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Have you seen the Casartelli Building?
    Yes and I was a bit disappointed with it. It looks too bright for what it is.

Default House plaster

Is there any chance of a photo as an example of what is meant????

Default External cement rendering

Here's a before and after shot of external cement rendering ( plastering).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boaler St 01195R.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	3634  

Must say, i agree, brick is best, but when i moved into my house the previous tennant had put up stone cladding (half way up front) and painted the rest of the house. I can't afford to do anything with it so have to suffer . I have to paint constantly, i hate it.

Must say, i agree, brick is best, but when i moved into my house the previous tennant had put up stone cladding (half way up front) and painted the rest of the house. I can't afford to do anything with it so have to suffer . I have to paint constantly, i hate it.