Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blitz Stories

Default Blitz Stories

We are looking for sories information on bombing raids in the Liverpool and Merseyside area during WW2. Do you know any details about the lesser known victims?

We have recently concentrated on the following

Cleveland Square Shelter 31/08/1940

Bentinck Street Railway Arch Shelter 20/12/1940

St Anthony's School Shelter 22/12/1940

8 Firemen killed ay Green Lane, Old Swan 17/12/1940

Pemberton Road, Old Swan 03/05/1941

Upper Stanhope Street Bombing 10/01/1942

If you know anything about these events or any others in the area please post details. Do you know anyone who told you stories about bombing raids?

We have noticed that a lot of the bombing victims are resigned to history. Would you help us remember those that died.

With Thanks

Wartime Liverpool

We have some day books from wartime liverpool - I work in a school just down the road from Upper Stanhope Street - and daily logs were always kept. I recall reading about a hit in the neighbourhood. If there's any more info I'll let you know.

Blog Entries

The back of the house at 4 Chester Street was bombed, just off Upper Stanhope Street

A book called "Liverpool's Finest" by Gavin Bassie has information on all the bombings from a Fire and Rescue point of view, it's a very good reference book and I believe only £4.99 in the Clerance Book Shop in town.
    Anyway, Stanhope St. entry in the book:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	18050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	598.3 KB 
ID:	18051  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

There's also Arthur Johnson's Secret War Diary. He was the Post & Echo's war correspondent who made a daily record of all such events, though he was unable to publish much of them because of official censorship. I don't know if it's still in print, though.

The newspaper cutting above seems to reflect a degree of official propaganda with its headline 'THE AIR RAID SHELTERS WERE O.K.' -- Maybe those who sought refuge in the Durning Road one believed that was true... but history teaches us differently.

BLACKSTOCK STREET WAR MEMORIAL - 70TH ANNIVERSARY OF AIR RAID - SUNDAY 19TH DECEMBER 2010.

No events are planned to mark what is the 70th Anniversary of the Blaclstock Gardens Bombing. Over 70 people died on this tragic night.

I talked to Father Dunne at Our Lady's church Eldon street. He has told me that nobody has asked for any kind of service. He says he is willing to hold a service next year, however this sunday is now booked up for him.

Ged rang the Scottie Press. I have also contacted them. They seem less than interested.

Ged rang the Old Eldonians twice, no calls returned. I rang, Nothing back.

Ged then found an old number for Billy Bellis. One of the survivors of the bombing who lost most of his family that night. He rang and was told that Billy sadly passed away in January. However he spoke to Billy wife Lily who has asked to be kept informed on details. Lily layed a wreath at the memorial earlier this week. She also told Ged the the 4 people who organised events in the past 12 years have all now died.

Ged emailed Roger Phillips on Radio Merseyside wh read out the email. So at least the Radio mentioned it.

I have emailed the Liverpool Echo in hope they may print something about the story.

So we are left with no event. So its up to us now.

Me and Ged will be at the memorial from 11.am this Sunday, 19th December. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome. There is no service taking place. Its just to remember those that died that tragic night.

The Memorial is situated at the bottom of Blackstock Street. Its on Vauxhall road right by the college. A tall steel monument.

We know that its the last Sunday before Christmas, We know the Snow may turn up. But if you can make it then please do. If you can not then please visit the memorial page on the website at

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...k-shelter.html

Lest keep the memory going.

Thank you All

Tony and Ged

I can pick anyone up (within reason) and perhaps have a mosey over to nearby Bentinck street where many perished under the arches during the same air raid as this Blackstock Gardens tragedy. Also in this area are other sites of historical interest if anyone wants to go. Maybe a cuppa or pint about noon somewhere along Tithebarn st or wherever.

Carrying on from an earlier post. I have printed out a couple of dozen photos of how the Vauxhall Road area, close to this tragedy looked from the 1930s-80s with some long lost pubs, Tate & Lyle industry and the tenements with the idea of having a little drive around for an hour after paying our condolences. If anyone wants to meet there, it's 11am on sunday 19th Dec 2010.

Ta,

Ged.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hello Ged

Yes I'd like you to pick me up here in Baltimore early on Sunday morning. I'll be waiting outside. Depending on you mate.

Seriously, I hope some people will take you up on the offer of a ride to attend this worthy occasion. As I stated in another thread, I will be there with you in spirit!

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cheers Chris.

Blog Entries

Default Durning Road, Edge Hill

Hi Ged,

On the back of the map it gives some listings from a 'contemporary edition of Gores'

76 Durning Road - Edge Hill Training College - Miss Sarah Jane Hill, principal

Daz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durning Road 1905.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	18052

Extract of Alan Godfrey Edition map [revised 1905]
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Oh, thanks, Dazza. I've been trying to place the college on contemporary maps, without success. Only Clint Road remains - and it's now all broken up, apparently by the arrival of new estates. I now see where Chantr(e)y Road was too, though I had it without the 'e' - maybe that's why I couldn't find it!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CBwQ8gEwAA

Blog Entries

Thanks John. Ged PM'd me regarding the map so can't take all the credit. Cheers all the same.

I've managed to find a slightly earlier 1848/64 OS map [LRO], just to show the development before the college and streets were laid out.

Durning Road was originally 'Rake Lane'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durning Road 1848.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	18057
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

We lived in Edinburgh Road, Kensington, during the early part of the war. My Dad was an ARP warden. I was 3 when the war broke out. I remember going out to local air-raid shelters, and also sheltering under the stairs in the coal cellar during raids. On one occasion when we emerged after the `all clear` (lovely sound,that!), I saw that my toy drum in the hearth had changed colour from yellow to black -the top was covered in soot, shaken from the chimney by the effects of the blasts. A couple of houses in the terrace, diagonally across from ours, had suffered a direct hit and were just rubble. Although rebuilt after the war in similar style, they can still be detected as different from the others in the road. Unless the occupants had gone to a shelter, they would have been fortunate to have survived in those houses.

Thanks Daz. I knew you'd be the man to pinpoint it for us. Cheers.

Blog Entries

The one o'clock gun, [1867-1969].

You'd think they'd have stopped the service after the Blitz; people's nerves must have been shot to pieces by the end of the war?

It's not looking good for our visit to the memorial and the mini tour tomorrow. It's advising us up here not to use the car unless absolutely necessary and having been up town on foot with very few vehicles about, I can see why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast