A.D.Williams

25th October 2005.

Blog Entries

is that the old scaninavian hotel dave?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

Nope, Kev. It's an old building on the corner of Seel Street and Slater Street. Not far from the old hotel though.

A.D.Williams

Blog Entries

Here's a few links to the information about Liverpool's China Town:

The History of Chinatown

Liverpool ChinatownBusiness Association
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default The Chinatown Gate

Crikey, look at the sharpness on Pete Carr's pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petecarr/278524260/
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

That's a beautiful picture nice one Pete.

Great photograph! I have to say that The Chinatown Gate was one

of the things that startled me, as being new, when I visited Liverpool last in 2003. A nice addition... though I have to add that since a lot of other

cities have such gates it is hardly unique!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

A.D.Williams

A fine picture, but the Arch really could do with a lick of paint and some TLC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Great photograph! I have to say that The Chinatown Gate was one of the things that startled me, as being new, when I visited

Liverpool last in 2003. A nice addition... though I have to add that since a lot of other cities have such gates it is hardly

unique!

Chris
    out of those though, i think its the biggest
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    out

of those though, i think its the biggest
    Thats what I heard too. Biggest in Europe or something. Glad you liked the shot guys

(Makes Bruce Noises while posting picture.)

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S Chinatown – the oldest in Europe – could have a new lease of life with multi- million pound regeneration schemes in the Rope Walks area.

Brian Wong, chairman of Liverpool Chinatown Business Association wants the area to rival thriving Chinese quarters in Manchester and London and is calling for more investment to take place in the area.

He was speaking at the opening of the New Star Chinese Restaurant in Duke Street, the first to be opened in the street for many years.

Traditional Chinese dragon dancers carried out a good-luck ceremony at the grand opening, with guests from the Chinese community hoping it will be a curtain raiser to an expansion of local business.It was attended by Chinese Consular Attache Chen Song and representatives from the Bank of China and China Insurance.

Mr Chen, who arrived at the consular office just a month ago said: “It is good to see new investment by the Chinese community in their Chinatown.”

Mr Wong said: “We want to encourage more businesses and leisure activities in Liverpool Chinatown to make it an even bigger tourist attraction.

“The improvements around the Duke Street and Rope Walks area have brought in many new people and this could be the catalyst for greater investment.

“There have already been a number of new restaurants and bars opened as part of the mixed use schemes around the area. We believe that there is potential to make the area more popular as one of Liverpool’s major attractions, particularly as it is so close to the Anglican Cathedral.”

Local councillor Cllr Steve Munby said: “We have already raised issues with the city council about the need to properly maintain the magnificent ceremonial arch in Nelson Street. It must be one of the most photographed structures in the city, but it needs to be looked after.

“There is a lot of potential to improve the area to attract more visitors. New restaurants and Chinese businesses are most welcome in the area

“We are encouraging an expansion of Chinatown into the Jamaica Street area because there is not enough space for people wanting to start businesses in the area.”

Business leaders in Chinatown are hoping that an invigorated link with Liverpool’s sister city, Shanghai, will provide a springboard for more trade and business between the two port cities.

Local councillor and council opposition leader Cllr Joe Anderson said: “We believe that Chinatown should be fully involved and utilised for the benefit of the city in our birthday year and Capital of Culture celebrations. It has the potential to become one of our main attractions and we need to work together as politicians and business leaders to improve and promote our Chinatown. Not only is it the oldest such community, it should be one of the best.”

source...
    Last edited by Kev; 02-12-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I think it's great that there is a call for more investment. I'm a bit concerned by Munby's call for taxpayers money to maintain the arch, not because I think that money shouldn't be used in this way but because I'm concerned that if the local Chinese community wait for LCC to maintain it, it will be in a sorry state before it gets a new lick of paint. Why can't local businesses club together and do it themselves? It would also be good if some of the property owned by the community in that area could be developed rather than sweated hoping for better returns in the future - remember the Scandanavian Hotel?

Who knows, they might set a precedent for other communities in the city. One in which the community is proactive, spending its own money, borrowing money against its own assets rather than waiting for grants from the city or the state before people get off their arses.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast