Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know the name of

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    St Johns Tower.. staff rest room area...

This area is above the deck area that people visit..
    its out of bounds to the public...
    This is confusing - surely the whole top of the tower is normally out of bounds, but on the modern-day tours (certainly early 2000's when I have been a couple of times), they bring you straight into this bar/cafe/rest room then take you round the studios afterwards. Unless the tours have changed?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Smith View Post
    I can remember me and my other half having a meal in the Tower Resturant in 1978. I recall it being quite "posh" I seem to remember that many resturant owners not willing to take it on at the time because the kitchen had to be in the basement/groundfloor and having to take the food up in a lift. It was thought not to be good practice that the food would be getting cold on its journey. I am sure we had a good time - though it was a long time ago now!
    Hi

I'm puzzled here I have seen a kitchen on the observation deck level although some equipment had been removed. (BTW I hate commercial kitchens they are horrible places when occupied and creepy when empty!). I may be wrong but I think the food was cooked upstairs until it closed in the early 1980's but prospective developers were told that in future, food would have to be cooked below (I was told this when I constantly pestered the centre management for info/visits during the closed years), this obviously put off people therefore it remained empty for years.
    The tower is only served by a single pair of lifts (albeit 4m/s (800ft/min)) and it wouldn't really be acceptable to travel up with the previous customers dinner! One lift out of order could mean a 5min wait.

Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123