Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parliament Square (site of Charles Wooton College)

Default Parliament Square (site of Charles Wooton College)

Boards went up a while back around Charles Wooton College on Upper Parliament Street. Now there's signs up advertising "Parliament Square", more luxury apartments. Very little detail at the site and I can't find anything on the web at the moment.

If there's going to be yet more apartments on the site of something connected with the city's history, can't they at least keep the name, in memory of Charles Wooton? Wooton Square isn't that bad? Parliament Square just seems bland and faceless to me.

In 1919 Charles Wooton was murdered by a white mob in Liverpool. This incident provoked an uprising of Blacks in almost all areas where they had settled. This set a pattern of resistance that was to characterize the Black experience in this country right up to the present day.

Source
    The rioting first broke out in Liverpool on Thursday 5th June. It began in a pub when a Coloured man picked up a glass of beer and threw it at a group of Scandinavians at another table: "The Scandinavians left the premises and in the street were assaulted by the coloured men with sticks, knives, razors and pieces of iron torn from lampposts."

The Blacks then went on a general rampage, assaulting three old men and a policeman. A crowd of about 2,000 Whites gathered, but were dispersed by the police. The Blacks were not grateful for their rescue, however, and showed their resentment of police interference by shooting one policeman in the mouth and slashing another across the face with a razor.

Rioting broke out again on Sunday 8th June. An account of subsequent court proceedings said that a Coloured man had been running along the street waving an iron bar and shouting "Down with the white race." The account continued: "White men appear determined to clear out the blacks, who have been advised to remain indoors. This counsel many of them disregard, and late on Sunday a large body of police had to be requisitioned to prevent serious consequences. Whenever a negro was seen he was chased and, if caught, severely beaten..."

The pattern was repeated late on the night of Monday 9th June. Another account of court proceedings read: "Evidence was given to the effect that the district was in uproar and every coloured man seen was followed by large hostile crowds. In two instances the negroes, on being attacked, pulled out knives and razors and attempted to stab some of the crowd. On was heard to shout, 'Come on, you English dogs, I will do for you.'"

Fresh disturbances in the early hours of Wednesday 11th June were also reported. A correspondent telephoning from Liverpool at one o'clock in the morning said that "the streets were filled with thousands of excited people."

Source: The British Race Riots of 1919
    Last edited by iain; 05-03-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added 2nd quote

Default Windsor Pub

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    Boards went up a while back around Charles Wooton College on Upper Parliament Street. Now there's signs up advertising "Parliament Square", more luxury apartments. Very little detail at the site and I can't find anything on the web at the moment.

If there's going to be yet more apartments on the site of something connected with the city's history, can't they at least keep the name, in memory of Charles Wooton? Wooton Square isn't that bad? Parliament Square just seems bland and faceless to me.
    Would the now demolished and near by Windsor Pub have undergone such a renovation. This delightful building has been replaced by an indescribably tedious "apartment" block clearly built down to a price.

Where was that one?

Default Windsor Hotel, Windsor, Toxteth

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    Where was that one?
    The Windsor Hotel Pub was on the corner of Beaumont St and Kingsley Rd. Really just along from what became known as the Charles Wooten centre. The area where the pub was sited was once called Windsor and hence the pub's name.

Blog Entries

The Windsor pub was better known as the Clock

I used to live opposite it,in Beaumont Street

http://toxteth.net/places/liverpool/...indsor%202.htm
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Thanks, Iain, Taffy, and Robbo, for this information. Iain, I agree that the name of Charles Wooton should not be forgotten.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    The Windsor Hotel Pub was on the corner of Beaumont St and Kingsley Rd. Really just along from what became known as the Charles Wooten centre. The area where the pub was sited was once called Windsor and hence the pub's name.
    Here's one of my photos, of the Windsor, 21 years ago.
    Outstanding building!
    http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...indsor%202.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Here's one of my photos, of the Windsor, 21 years ago.
    Outstanding building!
    http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...indsor%202.htm
    Thanks, Philip. Another fine building lost!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks, Philip. Another fine building lost!

Chris
    I didn't realise Mandy had given the same link.
    Great minds think alike!

Blog Entries

On the side:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graffetti.JPG 
Views:	447 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	2751  
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I didn't realise Mandy had given the same link.
    Great minds think alike!
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

I think I remember this scheme-CWC is around number 240 or so,isn't it? If so what I remember is that it was to be converted to flats,not demolished for new build. Don't quote me on that-LCC's planning explorer is down so I can't check...

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks, Iain, Taffy, and Robbo, for this information. Iain, I agree that the name of Charles Wooton should not be forgotten.

Chris
    I never knew who Charles Wooton was, or what his history was in the area, until I went on a course in work about race. If I hadn't learned who he was I probably wouldn't have been too bothered about the name.

I wonder if they're going to convert the building into apartments, or knock it down? EDIT - sorry didn't read Dave's post before
    Last edited by iain; 05-06-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    The Windsor pub was better known as the Clock

I used to live opposite it,in Beaumont Street

http://toxteth.net/places/liverpool/...indsor%202.htm
    Thanks for the picture, quite a building, I don't recall seeing it before. Not sure if I want to go down there and see what replaced it

ON THE Former Windsor Pub is A new build appartment block of around 3 floors, i think most are still empty you can rent them on rightmove for around 450£ pounds,bit xpensive 4 that areas

Who would wanna live right on the cnr of parliament/kingsley its a very busy juction with the 86BUS going past now every 10-15mins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast